Tried to make a Shiner clone, ended up with a good beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 70505

Reaction score
This is my first post, but I have been lurking for quite a while now. I finally started keeping good notes as my beers got better. This one started as an attempt to clone Shiner Bock. I couldn't get everything I read about in Hawaii, so I improvised a bit. It came out very good IMO, but not quite Shiner. My impression is that it needs a touch more hops and I'm still working on getting the perfect amount of carbonation and head retention, but this is a great "everyday" beer. Hope you enjoy it and feedback is always welcome.

Texas Red Ale
3lbs Amber dried malt extract
1lb Gold light dried malt extract
1.5lbs Munich
1lb Flaked maize
1/2 lb Caravienne
1/8lb Black patent
1oz Centenial hops (boiling)
1/2oz Liberty hops (finishing)
Irish Moss for clarity

Steep the grains at 155 for 1 hour in 2-3 gallons of water
Blend the DME in 1 gal of cool water
Add to wort and boil for 1 hour
Add Centenial hops at 60 min
Add Liberty hops at 15 min
Add Irish Moss at 10 min
White Labs 029 German Ale yeast

hey
i am a newbie.
i wanted to make a shiner clone but was told bocks are lagers which i don't have the equipment to make. your's looks like an ale what gives.

hey
i am a newbie.
i wanted to make a shiner clone but was told bocks are lagers which i don't have the equipment to make. your's looks like an ale what gives.

Bocks are lagers, but with certain clean ale yeasts and not too warm a fermenter the differences can be fairly understated.

Back