Tri-clamp/tri-clover kettle adaptors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ghottman

Reaction score
I recently purchased three shinny new 15 gallon kettles with a few tri-clover flanges welded onto the kettle. I have a HERMS systems that will circulate my mash. On the kettles there is a 1.5" tri-clover is near the bottom of the BK/MT for the wort out and there is a 1.5" tri-clover at the top for wort in/sparge water in.

I thought the tri-clovers would be easy to clean and disasemmble, which they are; however, i am having a little trouble trying to figure out how to hook my whole system up.

First let me start with the MT. Ideally i would like to have a set-up similar to that of the famous "electric brewery" Meaning i would like to have a silicon hose on the inside of the kettle to circulate the wort and allow me to fly or batch sparge without disrupting the grain bed. I would also like to be able to be able to quickly disconnect and reposition the hose on the outside of the kettle. How do i accomplish this with TC fittings on my kettle? (my thoughts are drilling a hole in a TC cap and attaching a bulk head, or using a TC to NPC adaptor).

On the wort out of the MT i will have a similar issue attaching both a pick-up tube and a valve.

My BK will look pretty similar to my MT without the false bottom, I want a pickup tube and valve with the ability to circulate (for cooling purposes).

If anyone has any thoughts i am all ears.

Thank you

Does the inlet of your mash tun have a Tri-clamp flange on the outside of the vessel and the inside? That is how mine is set up. You can hook Tri-clamp X 1/2" hose bard on both sides. Something like this ...

https://www.brewershardware.com/1.5-Tri-Clover-X-1-2-Hose-Barb.html

Brewers hardware has a large selection of Tri clamp fitting including valves with Tri clamp inlets/outlets that would work great coming out of your MT/BK. I'm not trying to promote them, but they have pictures of most the stuff and will give you an idea of what's out there and where you might want to start.

This is a good example of my typical distaste (maybe it's ranty) for triclovers on a homebrewing scale. Yes, there are some practical reasons to use 100% TC in a brewery, especially at production scale. In many cases, it's mechanically practical for an occasional disconnect (since I don't consider them quick disconnects).

In order to get the sanitary benefits of TC, EVERYTHING has to stay TC from butterfly valves with TC flanges with no threads anywhere.

Back