Treetop “Cosmic Crisp” unfiltered cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vdizzle

Reaction score
Just started a batch of cider using Treetop’s Cosmic Crisp unfiltered cider that I came across at Costco. Has a SG of 1.06 off the shelf. I used Nottingham yeast and pectic enzyme.
Has anyone used this juice before? I tastes delicious on its own.

Cosmic Crisp is a new apple varietal that was just released this year.

I love the apples, and thought it would make a nice cider, but the only juice I've seen so far was loaded with preservatives.

Is the CostCo stuff preservative free?

Cosmic Crisp is a new apple varietal that was just released this year.

I love the apples, and thought it would make a nice cider, but the only juice I've seen so far was loaded with preservatives.

Is the CostCo stuff preservative free?
Yes the Costco stuff is preservative free. Ingredients list says : 100% Apple Juice.

Just started a batch of cider using Treetop’s Cosmic Crisp unfiltered cider that I came across at Costco. Has a SG of 1.06 off the shelf. I used Nottingham yeast and pectic enzyme.
Has anyone used this juice before? I tastes delicious on its own.

This sounds amazing! Thanks for posting. I need to hit Costco and see if we have it in NE Ohio. I'm getting ready to transfer my current batch to secondary so it's time!

upload_2020-2-6_19-46-36.jpeg

This is what I used...

Treetop's website says its 100% Cosmic Crisp apples. When making (hard) cider from eating apples, my experience has been it's usually better to use a blend of different varieties. This variety has only been commercially planted since 2017, but field trials have been ongoing for many years. WSU, which developed the variety, probably made cider out of it as part of the evaluation process, but I can't find anything on that.
If I see any in the stores around here, I'm going to try it.
They are planting millions of Cosmic Crisp trees and it will probably be the end of Red Delicious production in the US Northwest.

That's a great OG if accurate. Getting almost 8% out of store-bought juice will generally help with making a clean cider. I'd still be looking for more characterful apples to supplement with, but it could be a good base for those without access to many cider apples. We'll see. There's been plenty of good cider made with table fruit and sometimes even when used 100%; Jonagold comes to mind immediately.

That's a great OG if accurate. Getting almost 8% out of store-bought juice will generally help with making a clean cider.

Well unless my hydrometer is off, it sat right at 1.06 on the nose. But the Nottingham yeast that I use hasn't really ever gone completely dry for me. Usually it quits at 1.006 or 1.008.

Treetop's website says its 100% Cosmic Crisp apples. When making (hard) cider from eating apples, my experience has been it's usually better to use a blend of different varieties. This variety has only been commercially planted since 2017, but field trials have been ongoing for many years. WSU, which developed the variety, probably made cider out of it as part of the evaluation process, but I can't find anything on that.
If I see any in the stores around here, I'm going to try it.
They are planting millions of Cosmic Crisp trees and it will probably be the end of Red Delicious production in the US Northwest.
Thankfully. While Cosmic Crisp are ok tasting. That makes them a million times better than Red Delicious. I've read the same about them. Orchardists like them for flavor but more importantly, shelf life.

Well after a little over 3 weeks in primary, fermentation was done. FG was 1.006. I racked into secondary to let it settle a bit. There was a lot of sediment at the bottom of primary and there is more building up in secondary even after only one day. It is still pretty cloudy.
Tasted a sample and it was pretty good. But it is still really young. A month in secondary should age it and clear it a little. Then a month in bottling and it should be fizzy and yummy!

It carbed up nicely. Tastes pretty good. It’s a little “dull” tasting for lack of a better word. Not as “apple-ey” as I was expecting. But it is certainly drinkable. I think if I added some tannins somehow and a bit of citric acid, then it would “pop”.

Attachments

• 2925176A-9E90-4572-A7D2-5D5CE7181320.jpeg
    2925176A-9E90-4572-A7D2-5D5CE7181320.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 11
Thanks for coming back with the update. Sounds like another boring dessert cider. Shame. We need more multi-purpose modern fruit varieties. I'm sure lots of us will try it anyway though!

Back