Treehouse Julius clone yeast quantity query?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troyp42

Reaction score
I recently brewed this beer using the recipes online that uses the 3 different kinds of yeast in various amounts (S04, WB06 and T58) However it finished quite sweet. If you put the recipe specs into the brewers friend yeast calculator your way down on the number of cells required and although the recipe notes say you want to stress the yeast to produce esters I can’t help but think mine finished sweet because I didn’t pitch enough yeast.

Has anyone brewed this but increased the yeast by the same percentages to at least have enough cells for a decent fermentation?

Yes I did that blend and usually finish between 1.014 and 1.018. Ive brewed it about 5 or 6 times now. Maybe you had issues with your mash temp running a little hot and had more unfermentable sugars than you wished for.

I recently brewed this beer using the recipes online that uses the 3 different kinds of yeast in various amounts (S04, WB06 and T58)
You'd be better off on the HBT thread that came up with the S-04/WB-06/T-58 blend, namely this one :
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/thread...ouse-how-to-identify-and-characterize.623221/
You don't say what particular recipe you're referring to so it's hard to say whether that's too little yeast or not.

Just in general I'd be very wary of increasing the amount of WB-06, which completely trashes hop flavour if you give it half a chance.

I have never used one so I'm curious what happens to a pre-packaged "culture blend" when one uses it in a starter.
Do the ratios of the - in this case - three cultures remain consistent? And/or does it even matter?

Cheers!

Back