Treating mash and sparge water at the same time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzbeer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Do any of you treat all of your water at the same time? What program do you use to calculate salt additions? I have EZWater program and thought I could say the mash water quantity is the total volume I would use to both mash and batch sparge. For info I start with RO water. Thanks for any help.

Me too, except Bru'n Water says to add .2 ml of lactic acid to my sparge water and I do.

One should strive to avoid allowing sparged wort to rise in pH above 5.6 as at that point it can pull tannins and silicas out of the grist. Alkaline water for instance may require acidifying the sparge liquor to neutralize that alkalinity. Otoh, straight RO or DI water for sparge liquor would be at the opposite end and would rarely need pH adjustment...

Cheers!

Depending on the brew, the alkalinity needed for mashing and sparging water can be VERY different. Treating all your brewing water to the same spec can lead to disappointing results. That's why Bru'n Water has separate calculators for mashing and sparging water. Its needed.

Back