Transporting/Transplanting young hop plants

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jotakah

Reaction score
Hey gang,

So I started three hop plants in large containers this season (Nugget, Centennial, Cascade). I planted into containers because I knew I would be moving about 8hrs away to the Willamette valley this summer. The plan was to have established plants so next year I could produce a good crop of hops, even if I can't get any to produce this year.

Well, I'm moving in two weeks. The plants look good, they're about a foot or two tall now and climbing quickly. I'm planning on just sitting them in the Uhaul with some sort of straps to keep them from sliding/falling over.

Question 1: Do you any tips or suggestions as to how I could do minimal damage to the plants?

Question 2: Since I'm going to be living in an area that is absolutely perfect hops-growing, should I transplant the young plants into the soil when I first move? It'll be about 2months since they were planted in my containers here in Idaho. Or would it be better to let them grow this first year in the containers, then transplant them after? And if so, should I do a fall or spring transplant? I'm thinking fall so the ground can help insulate the roots...

THANKS! :fro:

I'd get them in the ground ASAP if they are going to stay there for good. Don't let the pots tip over in the uhaul. Duck tape the pots together or strap them in and they should be o.k. 5 gal paint buckets are perfect for this. A large trash can with a lid to stick the whole plant in would be good too.

And don't let them get hot or dry out. Make sure to get some good compost when you plant them. good luck

Back