Transporting CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete_hickey

Reaction score
A (non-brewing) friend in the US tells me that, in order to transport a tank of CO2, you must have some kind of certification, and your car must have some king of stickers on it. Even for a 10 pound tank.

I find this hard to accept. What do people in the US do when you want to bring some beer to a party?

Maybe with large quantities, I could understand it, but a 10 pound tank of CO2 could even be called a fire extinguisher.

I tried to find any information on this, but I couldn't which leads me to suspect it is not true.

Any advice?

A (non-brewing) friend in the US tells me that, in order to transport a tank of CO2, you must have some kind of certification, and your car must have some king of stickers on it. Even for a 10 pound tank.

I find this hard to accept. What do people in the US do when you want to bring some beer to a party?

Maybe with large quantities, I could understand it, but a 10 pound tank of CO2 could even be called a fire extinguisher.

I tried to find any information on this, but I couldn't which leads me to suspect it is not true.

Any advice?

I suspect that a commercial vehicle transporting compressed gas cylinders as part of it's normal commercial business probably does, but a personal vehicle certainly does not.

Edit: I now see that you are in Canada, I cannot say with any certainty whether or not that is the case where you live.

I suspect that a commercial vehicle transporting compressed gas cylinders as part of it's normal commercial business probably does, but a personal vehicle certainly does not.
That makes sense. He drives a commercial vehicle. Now I can understand.
Edit: I now see that you are in Canada, I cannot say with any certainty whether or not that is the case where you live.
No issue here. It was rules in the US that I wanted info on.

Back