Transporting beer kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copachono

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, a friend has a remote restaurant amd want me to supplu him with beer on cornys, but the its about 4 hours on the road, he comes every 15 days for supplies on the city, so he can take them at the same time, but im more concerned about if the levels of carbonation can be mantained or if it will be any problem with the beer due the shaking.

Also can keged beer be stored at about 90F? By storage i mean he wants to keep some kegs outside the frigde just to be supplied all the time, and keep rotating those kegs as they got empty.

Hi all, a friend has a remote restaurant amd want me to supplu him with beer on cornys, but the its about 4 hours on the road, he comes every 15 days for supplies on the city, so he can take them at the same time, but im more concerned about if the levels of carbonation can be mantained or if it will be any problem with the beer due the shaking.

Shaking isn't the best thing for beer, but assuming the kegs are sound, they shouldn't lose carbonation because of it.

Also can keged beer be stored at about 90F? By storage i mean he wants to keep some kegs outside the frigde just to be supplied all the time, and keep rotating those kegs as they got empty.

Beer will stale much faster at 90F than at cold temperatures. Figure about 2-3 times faster for each 10 degrees Celcius, compounding, like this...

4C (39F): call this the baseline
14C (57F): staling 2-3 times as fast
24C (75F): staling 4-9 times as fast
34C (93F): staling 8-27 times as fast

Also, if there are any unwanted spoilage microbes in the beer, they will also be working faster at warmer temperatures.

When I transport kegs of beer, 3-4 times a year, for a long weekend of consumption, they go into beverage (Igloo type) coolers filled with ice. I drape a thick sleeping bag over the coolers to keep the cold in, and the AC, in the back, cranked to max. There's lots of ice left at end of the 1-4 hour trip, and they go directly onto the taps/jockey boxes. Never had an issue.

In your country, temps are much higher and trips longer. ;)
There have been members, from you neck of the woods, here previously posting about storing beer at (much higher) ambient temps at the final location for several days to several weeks, until they get put on tap. Some spoilage has been reported. But most (well sanitized) beers will be fine in that environment for that time.
Just give them 24-48 hours to chill down to serving temps, and get their pressure/carbonation level somewhat normalized. A week would be best.

im more concerned about if the levels of carbonation can be mantained or if it will be any problem with the beer due the shaking.
Shaking is not the problem, elevated temps are!

As I said before, after the journey, keeping them a few days to a week at serving temps stabilizes their carbonation level, and they should pour fine, especially if the lines are long(er) and kept cold.

Thank you all, i thibk i could gice it a try then, since, an tell them to get enough kegs so the can at least give a week for the saked kags to stabilized and keep them on the fridge, shouls the kegs need to be connected on the CO2 line to help them stabilize the carbonation level?

shouls the kegs need to be connected on the CO2 line to help them stabilize the carbonation level?

No. If the kegs were fully carbonated before warming, all of the CO2 needed is already inside the beer or the headspace. When cooled again, some of the headspace CO2 will go back into solution.

shouls the kegs need to be connected on the CO2 line to help them stabilize the carbonation level?
No, if the kegs are already properly carbonated, they retain that level of carbonation, as long as there are no leaks.
But that's the bigger issue with corny kegs. A small leak, anywhere, can ruin that.

I have 2 kegs that just won't hold pressure below 10 psi, whatever I do. Clearly marked as such.

Another one has a tiny leak on the gas poppet, if not checked. As long as I make sure it's set properly, it's tight and fine for months. But put a QD on it and remove it, there's a good chance it will lose carbonation over the next 24-48 hours. A tiny leak on the poppet seal, but almost impossible to fix. I tried. That keg is clearly marked too.

Back