Transported beer tastes bad now. Fastest way to fix?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasontheBeaver

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My corn of centennial blonde tasted awesome last night. Now, after a 2 hour drive it's not so good.
I've got it on ice and going through a jockey box. Will this clear up overnight?

ForumRunner_20111007_210021.jpg

Should clear some if you leave it be. I've taken Yooper's advice when I travel with a keg and it works great. In the future, make a jumper from a short piece of beer line and two IN keg connectors. Fill another keg with CO2 and purge. Push the beer out of the full keg with CO2. Keep 'burping' the keg your filling to let the CO2 out of that keg and to keep the beer flowing. This process will leave all the sediment in the original keg and your freshly filled keg can be shook til the cows come home with no sediment clouding the beer. Not doing you any good now, but there's always next time.

Secondary might help, but I'd go more for a 'crash cool'. Put the fermenter into the fridge a couple of days before you keg. The sediment will fall and compact on the bottom of the caryboy/bucket. Even when/if you secondary, once the beer gets cold even more sediment will drop out.

UPDATE:
This beer went over very well with the tailgate crowd. I was disappointed with the confusing flavor-change. I figured out the reason... temperature!
Served at 48-50F from my fridge this beer was smooth and full of flavor and a great mouth feel. But icing the keg and running it through that iced jockeybox proved too cold, changing the flavor altogether!
I was fretting over this all night Friday and throughout the day Saturday, despite people downing it like water. But Sat night after the party, it hit me... it had to be temperature!
So I took the keg out of the ice and let it sit outside over night, then pulled a glass using my picnic tap... viola! Dam you learn something ever day about homebrewing!

I've taken Yooper's advice when I travel with a keg and it works great. In the future, make a jumper from a short piece of beer line and two OUT keg connectors.

small but important fix. ive done this and it works well for getting rid of excess sediment in the keg, regardless of wether or not you are transporting it.

Back