Transition to All-Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jota21

Reaction score
like all homebrewers, my long term goal is to convert to all-grain. That said, I'm starting to gather the equipment required. I will be asking for a round 10 gallon cooler to conver to an MLT for x-mas, and I have an old keg that I plan on converting to a keggle.

I only plan on doing 5 gallon batches, but even so, to stay out of SWMBO's kitchen, I decided to pick up a $20 used turkey fryer from craigslist. The ad was very vague, but i decided to take a chance. It is not exactly what I was hoping for, but I'm assuming it will work: No info on BTUs, regulator PSIs, etc...
Thermos remote control turkey fryer new - this is a new in box, thermos remote control turkey fryer.

Can I use the anodized 30qt kettle to heat my sparge water (is that the HTL?), my new cooler MLT, and my keggle on this burner for a reasonable set-up?
Any reason not to use anodized AL? My only other option for an HLT is my 5 gallong stainless pot, which, from what i've read, my not be big enough.

The budget is the #1 priority right now, with space being a very very close #2, so unfortunately, a brewstand with 3 polished keggles and pumps, etc are not going to be an option for me.

Thanks

From the link, it appears that the burner has a timer on it. You'll need to over-ride/defeat/remove/eliminate that before you use it.

The anodized 30qt pot could be used to heat the sparge water (yes, that makes it a HLT). You could [probably] safely use it to boil wort in too. It depends on how good the anodizing is.

Personally, I wouldn't have gone with that burner. IMO, better off getting one that will be good for the long term up front. While the remote ignition is a nice gimmick, it's pretty much a waste when it comes to brewing. You're not dealing with super-hot oil here. IF this becomes your HLT burner, then it could be ok. I would plan on getting a much better burner for the boil/keggle. As much as you say you don't have much of a budget, I'd splurge and get the Blichmann burner for that if I was getting burners all over again.

I would suggest getting a wort chiller next, if you don't already have one. IMO, plate chillers kick ass. I know, plenty of people will say the same about CFC units. IMO, don't bother with an IC at this point. You can use gravity to run wort through the plate chiller until you get funds approved for a pump. Once you have a pump, your wort chilling will become much easier (you'll be able to sanitize with boiling wort, as well as recirculate while chilling to get the batch to pitching temp easier).

I would also get/make a hop spider so you don't need to worry about hop matter plugging up the chiller. I've made a few with parts from McMaster-Carr and Amazon (all stainless steel)... 6" opening means it's easy to toss hops in.

Thanks for the quick response. If i had seen this fryer before driving to pick it up, i would have passed on it also, but it was a white-trash woman with a kid running around in his underpants who would only answer questions via email in 3-word sentences from her iphone. I have missed out on a lot of good craigslist deals waiting for responses and details, so I just jumped on it. I'm hoping this will boil the wort for the time being, and if worst case scenario, it's only purpose down the road is to heat sparge water, then so be it.

The kettle appears to be in great shape. She claims to have only used it once, and judging from how new everything looks, i believe her.

+ 1 on everything that golddiggie said. You want to get a burner that will last you a while. I have this one and I love it. It is not too expensive and it works well. You can get all the items you need to make the hop spider at your local hardware store. I also have a CFC that chills 6 gal of water in less than five min. With the weather being as cold as it is right now I actually have a problem of getting the wort too cold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a big ass burner and a mesh bag and do BIAB all-grain to start, than keep adding the other stuff in as you get money. I just did my first two batches that route and gotta say wish I'd heard about it earlier!

Latest posts

Back