Transferring Options Outside of Siphon/Auto-Siphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bert_wall

Reaction score
First thread, so I hope this is the right place then.

I am about 15 batches in and noticing that my transfer from fermenter to bottling bucket to bottles is a point of frustration. I am currently using the standard Brewer's Best buckets and the siphon process is aggravating, to say the least. I am ready for the next step...just trying to figure out the best place to throw my money.

The beer has been tasty (more or less) so far and I haven't had any major mishaps but I just keep thinking there is a better way. My main issue is keeping the siphon controlled while still trying to reduce oxidization into the bottling bucket. At some point, the siphon slips and then I am hectically trying to recover. Another problem all together I'm sure, but I am also trying to filter along this process (nylon).

Is there a better method? Or a piece of equipment that can simplify this process?

I appreciate the advice in advance!

Cheers,
Bert.

I added a spigot to all of my buckets at about the gallon mark. Then all i have to do when its time to transfer is sanitize a piece of hose and I'm good to go. I clean the spigot after every transfer just because it only takes a few minutes anyways.

Vacuum. Dual hole bung. Vacuum pump on one hole. Copper tubing through one hole to almost the bottom of the receiving vessel. Pull a vacuum, suck beer from vessel A to vessel B.

You can get a simple hand vacuum pump at the auto parts store. Probably going to take a lot of pumping though. Don't implode your receiving vessel either!

Should give you a rough idea how it's done.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuJUfbPNYjM[/ame]

All the Best,
D. White

Not sure if this would help, but I just found this Northern Brewer video and I may try it myself. I've been having problems with oxygenation while transferring with the auto siphon....maybe this will help.

Last edited by a moderator:
These might be dumb questions, no insult intended:
1. Have you been using an autosiphon? I never thought it would make a big difference over a regular siphoning , and I was totally wrong.
2. Bottle filler? Siphon clip? Another cheap items that was well​ worth the few bucks. I've never run into noticable oxydation issues using these tools.

+1 on the spigots. Easy to install, inexpensive and make siphoning very easy. By now you likely know where your trub lines are to pick a good point to drill the holes.

(PS, I now keg, so I transfer directly from the fermentor to the keg. Between the spigot and the kegs, kegging day takes no more than 15-20 minutes - including set up and clean up.)

I'll play the contrarian. I would never use a fermentor with a spigot unless it was easy to remove and clean. I had one on a bottling bucket that could not be disassembled. I had one on a better bottle that couldn't be removed without significant effort in putting back together. For me, they were a source of infection that I couldn't risk.

Using plastic carboys, a 5# CO2 tank, and a bung with 2 holes (one for gas in, one for beer out), you could push the beer out with gas - it would solve your problems perfectly. If you switch to kegging some day, you can almost entirely avoid O2 by 1) purge the keg first with CO2, 2) open pressure relief valve, 3) transfering from the carboy right into the beer OUT post by pushing beer out with CO2.

I'll play the contrarian. I would never use a fermentor with a spigot unless it was easy to remove and clean. I had one on a bottling bucket that could not be disassembled. I had one on a better bottle that couldn't be removed without significant effort in putting back together. For me, they were a source of infection that I couldn't risk.

Using plastic carboys, a 5# CO2 tank, and a bung with 2 holes (one for gas in, one for beer out), you could push the beer out with gas - it would solve your problems perfectly. If you switch to kegging some day, you can almost entirely avoid O2 by 1) purge the keg first with CO2, 2) open pressure relief valve, 3) transfering from the carboy right into the beer OUT post by pushing beer out with CO2.

This is the system I plan to go to. I need to get a two port lid for my Big Mouth Bubbler, but then I can use one port for CO2 in, the other for the racking cane out and I'm all set. I already have CO2 for my kegerator, so it's a no brainer.

Not sure if this would help, but I just found this Northern Brewer video and I may try it myself. I've been having problems with oxygenation while transferring with the auto siphon....maybe this will help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_0zyM2dLGA
This is worth a shot. Not currently using a carboy but I have been procrastinating on that anyways. Only $3.99 on NB.

These might be dumb questions, no insult intended:
1. Have you been using an autosiphon? I never thought it would make a big difference over a regular siphoning , and I was totally wrong.
2. Bottle filler? Siphon clip? Another cheap items that was well​ worth the few bucks. I've never run into noticable oxydation issues using these tools.
These might be dumb questions, no insult intended: not at all!
1. Have you been using an autosiphon? No, just the standard siphon that comes with BB kit.I never thought it would make a big difference over a regular siphoning , and I was totally wrong.Good to know then, I was hesitant to buy another siphon if I was going to keep seeing the same issues.
2. Bottle filler? Siphon clip? Another cheap items that was well​ worth the few bucks. I've never run into noticable oxydation issues using these tools.Using both the filler and the siphon clip. The clip tends to slip with just the slightest pressure in the wrong direction and I haven't seen any major oxidization issues...it just feels like I am introducing a lot once panic mode hits. Like I said the beers have been tasty (more or less).

Latest posts

Back