Transferring my peach wine into secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicholaus12

Reaction score
My peach wine seems to be moving along well. It is Day 6 and the sg is at .03 started at .095. I need to transfer from primary bucket to secondary glass vessal, this is a 5 gallon batch. i know i need to get the peaches out and strain most of the pulp out. MY QUESTION is when i am doing so is the exposure to oxygen ok? i have only done from concentrate prior to this so straining has never ben an issue i have always just used auto syphon!

Any help would be greatly appreciated, if i do this properly i think i should have a tasty wine for next summer;)

you will be ok transferring from primary to secondary.
if you have another bucket, line it with paint strainer bag are something and syphon in to it, straining the peach pulp, skins etc.
then syphon that into your secondary glass carboy.
you dont have to worry about oxidation at this point.

Thanks. I transferred successfully. Pretty messy though. But it is bubbling away in secondary after two days. Smells great, very cloudy and very orange at moment!

Blackberry is next!

you will get tons of sediment. out of the 5 gallon batch, you may get 3 1/2 are 4 gallons of wine.
blackberry is best uising juice, and as little water as possible.
i have made about 10 batches of blackberry, all good.
but with the juice, it has a blackberry taste..

yes with fresh fruit wines you always get mega sediments, I start with 7 gallons(If I can afford it) and rack to a 6.5 gallon secondary and then rack again to a 5 gallon before bottling.

Looks like I need a bigger primary. Peaches are still in season here and not to pricey, might have to get another batch started and buy a bigger primary. I have heard for a fresh fruit wine that it will be a year before its a good wine? I like dry wines so I would like to keep it as dry as possible but I have also heard that most fruit wines are better semi sweet to sweet any thoughts. I don't know if that's too off subject for this thread. I'm new! Thanks

I could see a peach wine being good dry or sweet, Rieslings are made this way and people like them both sweet, semi sweet, and dry.....

Peach wines can be good dry with the right recipe. One of my favorite wines is a dry peach wine.

Latest posts

Back