Transferring from keg to keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicktoney

Reaction score
So I brewed BM's Centennial Blonde here at work and have since kegged it. I kegged straight from the primary after 2weeks, and its been in the fridge for 1. My question is this. If I were to transport the keg home, would I need to wait equally as long for it to clear back up? Will it affect flavor transporting it home, as any sediment will be stirred up? Its carbed now so im not worried about aerating anything. Also, if I were to transfer from this keg, into another, would the transportation be easier on the clear beer bc all the sediment would be in the bottom of my current keg? Just looking for tips how everyone transports their kegs without stirring them up? And how bad are the off flavors, if any.

You will very likely stir it up. I'm not sure it will take quite as long as the first time, since you probably poured at least some of the sediment in the first glass or two.

What you want to do is to jumper the beer into a second keg like this:

Fill second (cleaned and sanitized) keg with an equal pressure of CO2.
Connect jumper hose between kegs (liquid tubing with a liquid disconnect on each end)
Slowly release the pressure in the second keg, while maintaining the original keg's pressure with a CO2 tank.

Ideally you will pour a glass before doing this so you can make sure the sediment is not going to be picked up any more. And maybe a second glass to drink while you transfer...

If this is going to be a common event, try cutting about 3/4" off the end of the dip tube. In the future, you can then transfer between kegs prior to transport without picking up that sediment...

Back