Tragedy Strikes!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodePoet

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Had the unthinkable happen last night. Came home after a week long vacation, looking forward to sampling my newest creation that I had kegged just before I left home. Grabbed a glass, opened the keezer up to connect my taps and was not overly happy to find an empty keg floating in 5 gallons of hoppy goodness at the bottom of my freezer. DOH!

Apparently after carbonating I had left the gas connected and on at 10PSI. At first glance, it appears that over the course of the week I was away, the pressure pushed the beer out through what appears to be a faulty out post. Damn out posts!

The weird thing is however, the keg was still pressurized when I got home. It was bone dry, but it was pressurized. Also, my CO2 tank was still full. To me this logically doesn't make much sense. If the post was leaking enough to push the beer out, wouldn't it stand to reason that after the beer was gone, it would have continued to leak my Co2 tank dry?

I'm not Sheldon Copper by any stretch of the imagination, but It seems I have found a keg that bends the laws of physics and allows Liquid to escape from an air tight seal. Any one have any thoughts on how this could be possible?

Cheers,
Jim.

Sorry to hear, that sucks big time. It could have been a very small leak, and the trub at the bottom of the keg might have clogged it and saved you a tank of CO2.

That is a tragedy! I had a leaky cobra tap once. Luckily I went in the fridge for something and caught it before I lost the whole keg.

It may have been leaking the whole time very slowly. You may still have pressure on your tank but probably a lot less gas. Weigh the tank to be sure.

Damn, I regularly pop the lines off my kegs for vacation as I've had the fear the cats would accidentally kick a tap open. Never even thought about an out post leaking.

Latest posts

Back