Trader Joe's Coffee Concentrate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mullenium

Reaction score
Found this at trader joes,

9521563870_3816c537e8_z.jpg

Thinking of adding a bottle of it to an oatmeal stout once i get it to secondary

Anyone used this before?

There's another thread on it I think. I drink it and it's great. I'd definitely add it to beer.

Actually, I was just searching for the thread. I have a brown ale that was a failed stout. Last night I suddenly realized that it is slightly thinner than Surly Coffee Bender but it is very similar in terms of the base. I am off to TJ's right now to get some. I am thinking 4 ounces in the keg with 5 gallons of beer. Not sure that is right but I have about 9.5 gallons of this blah brown beer to mess with. I was about to dump half of it because I just wasn't feeling it.

Edit: My TJ's is totally out of the cold brewed coffee indefinitely. I wanted to use that over cold brewing my own because I read about sanitation and such being hard. I'm just going to sanitize my french press, use bottled water and cold brew for about 18 hours and see what happens.

Actually, I was just searching for the thread. I have a brown ale that was a failed stout. Last night I suddenly realized that it is slightly thinner than Surly Coffee Bender but it is very similar in terms of the base. I am off to TJ's right now to get some. I am thinking 4 ounces in the keg with 5 gallons of beer. Not sure that is right but I have about 9.5 gallons of this blah brown beer to mess with. I was about to dump half of it because I just wasn't feeling it.

Edit: My TJ's is totally out of the cold brewed coffee indefinitely. I wanted to use that over cold brewing my own because I read about sanitation and such being hard. I'm just going to sanitize my french press, use bottled water and cold brew for about 18 hours and see what happens.

When I did mine I sanitized the crap out of my French Press, and then sprayed my star san mix on a sheet of plastic wrap and wrapped it around the top of the press to help keep things out of it.

Any feedback on this added to beer???

Hey sorry for no updates!

my stout turned out good! the entire bottle was used for a 5 gal batch, I also added some unsweetened cacao powder to make it like a mocha stout.

the only thing I may have messed up on was using coconut palm sugar mixed with dextrose when bottling for my priming sugar, as some of the bottles are way too over carbed.

but the flavor of the beer is amazing

32 oz for 5 gallons? Since we're looking at concentrate, was it all coffee and no beer?

You can also cold brew a coffee extract using vodka and ground coffee. I have done it with good results, I do add a bit of water to the vodka before I add the coffee grounds.

No sanitation problems to worry about using the vodka.

Cheers :mug:

32 oz for 5 gallons? Since we're looking at concentrate, was it all coffee and no beer?

It's not that concentrated, your supposed to mix the concentrate with milk to make a latte.. so think of it like weak espresso or maybe just regular brewed coffee that someone brewed with more than typical grounds.

I've had it, I just figured it was still a coffee bomb. I drink it frequently and mix with at least 8 oz of milk.

I've had it, I just figured it was still a coffee bomb. I drink it frequently and mix with at least 8 oz of milk.

yeah I was going for like a starbucks style mocha espresso stout and it came through just about right

Back