Trade a baby for brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If only. I have parlayed this into a new kegerator, which I am soon to be adding a couple of taps to, and I’m planning to somewhat convert some garage space into a bar type area. But we’ll see how far that goes- I’m not very good at building things, nor do I have that necessary garage space (especially now).

Well this is an "interesting" thread to resurrect. Has anyone here quoted from one of the greatest TV sitcoms ever: Scrubs? It's been off the air for a while so my memory is a bit fuzzy, but I'll give it a shot.

There was an episode where Turk, who was already married with a daughter and due to an unfortunate accident had lost one of his... well they called it a "man-berry". I think it was after a scare where he hurt his other m-b, or maybe it was after a milestone with the daughter that his wife, Carla, suggested they have hurry up and work at conceiving another baby. Turk's caught off guard.

One of his friends on the show tells him that it's going to happen, because he doesn't have as much say in it as he thinks, and that he just needs to get out of it what he can.

So he tells Carla that how he honestly feels about the whole situation, and I think there was something in there about how he felt like they were finally balancing being a couple and being parents. So Turk tells Carla that it would make him feel better about everything if they could have relations every day for a month ("even if you're doing something important, if I come over and tap you on your shoulder you've got to drop it likes its hot and ..."). It's implied that she agrees to his suggestion.

That show was hilarious. Not necessarily the greatest advice here, but it's funny.

So is the baby still developing, or has the baby arrived?

Last edited:
Funny, I love Scrubs and we’re currently rewatching it (again) and actually just saw the episode you’re talking about a few days ago. I actually chuckled about that part, as Turk is told it’s going to happen anyway, so basically get something out of it. However, that was definitely not my thinking. I really was content with two. But now we’ll have three and I’m sure it will suck at times, but be fine. Of course, now that it’s coming, I most certainly am getting something out of it (the new kegerator). Parts just came in, so I need to put more taps on it and kick it on.

We’re still a few weeks away from sharing it openly, 9 weeks or so along.

10 weeks yesterday, the size of a cumquat, I’m told. I received a lecture from my wife about drinking too much. I will say it’s been a bit more than usual, but nothing crazy. About 5 beers a day last weekend. I usually keep it pretty dry during the work week. What can I say? Beer makes my weekends more fun and I’m pretty stressed about this new child, to go along with everything else.

I found some time to work on my kegerator today. Added two taps, just need gas and liquid lines and I’m good to go. I have a half keg of a tangelo IPA I’ve have had on tap in my old kegerator and my ‘Memorial Day IPA’ I made two weeks ago can be kegged at any time. As soon as it’s complete, I’ll move the two over.

The initial tap is set up for sanke, so I may just leave it alone and by a keg from a distributor so I have that option as well. My wife has been pretty cool about giving me time to brew and the like, but I doubt I’ll be able to brew enough to keep three home brews on tap.
IMG_3136.JPG
IMG_3137.JPG

Well, my wife wants another kid. I don't. Not really anyway. But she keeps telling me I can brew all I want and make a bigger set up if I give her another kid. What would you do?

Come on man. After two kids, you should know better than anyone else that a new baby eliminates most of your free time (and disposable income).

I got the whole kegerator hooked up (gas and liquid lines) last night. Kegged my Memorial Day IPA today and hooked it up. I wasn’t pleased with the flavor of the IPA, but hopefully carbonation, keg hops and being cold will change that. I still have room for one more keg, but I’ll probably just end up buying one from the distributor and hooking it up later.

The baby is the size of a lime. We have our first appointment next week, at 12 weeks. After that, the cat will pretty much be out of the bag. Not too many people know right now. Accept you guys.

Families don't judge each other?

My experience is that families judge each other all the time, it's just that they try to be nicer to each other about it, and when someone gets carried away the person being judged usually cools down for a while and eventually forgives the person.

Courtesy, forgiveness, and love, that's family. Sort of.

My wife has been pretty cool about giving me time to brew and the like, but I doubt I’ll be able to brew enough to keep three home brews on tap.

10 or 20 gal batches take the same amount of time to brew.... :)

edit: and if you mean different, there's always dry hopping....

10 or 20 gal batches take the same amount of time to brew.... :)

edit: and if you mean different, there's always dry hopping....

I thought of that, but then I’d need bigger equipment. The cool think is that my oldest are now old enough to play outside while I do it without needing to be watched.

I thought of that, but then I’d need bigger equipment. The cool think is that my oldest are now old enough to play outside while I do it without needing to be watched.

i'm childless and single, but i know a 15 gal pot and 10 gal cooler costs ~$300...not too bad...but i would say, i've seen the neighbor's kids go from a bump, to walking and talking in what seems like a short time...maybe because i drink and time moves slow for me. at any rate you should get street cred for making beer, and they won't be such a coward to the dope pushers....

Reading this thread has made me even happier I never had any kids. But it was, for me, kind of like watching a car crash happen in slow motion. ;)

Last edited:
Reading this thread has made me even happier I never had any kids. But it was, for me, kind of like watching a car crash happen in slow motion. ;)

I never thought I’d want/ have kids until I did. And it’s been great, although there are definitely stressful and crazy times. But you adapt and figure it out. That being said, adding a third is going to push me over the top. I gotta figure we’ll make this work too. We’ll have to.

I told my mom tonight, she was more surprised than anything, but happy. She’s not super involved anyway.

Back