Trade a baby for brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personal opinion (as a father of 2 under 4):

If you and wifey want another kid, ****ing do it!

But if you want to upgrade you kegerator, brew pot, mash tun... then you and wifey need to have a talk along the lines of "Honey, I appreciate you saying I can brew more if we have another baby, but that's not why I want another baby. I love you, we have two great kids, and that's why I want another baby. However, I would like to (insert upgrade you want to make) and think that we should do it before the baby is born, because once the baby is here, we'll have to pay for XYZ."

Then you explain to her how you're going to afford the brewing upgrade you want, call a sitter, take your lady out for dinner, and then... well you know the rest.

Cheers to you, sir!

EDIT: Kudos on pulling the goalie.

If three is your limit, I recommend scheduling your vasectomy for about a month before the baby is due. The wife will be pregnant and hormonal and not want a 4th at that point so you'll have no resistance.

Full disclosure, I did this, and I'm now divorced. Those aren't related though!

Well, my wife wants another kid. I don't. Not really anyway. But she keeps telling me I can brew all I want and make a bigger set up if I give her another kid. What would you do?

I'd record the wife on video, saying "you can brew all you want..." Get her to include something like "and sex on demand..." and keep it for future reference...
Then bang her at least once a day, every day in perpetuity. :ban:
Enjoy life. :D
Regards, GF.

I'd record the wife on video, saying "you can brew all you want..." Get her to include something like "and sex on demand..." and keep it for future reference...

Regards, GF.

Yes, I realized very quickly that I need a written contract or something. We've pretty much agreed that we will try for another. So last night, I mentioned brewing again soon and she balked. "We need to wait until conception first", she said. I told her this would be the best time to brew. She obviously isn't going to be able to handle giving me more complaint-free brew sessions, with or without new child.

Yes, I realized very quickly that I need a written contract or something. We've pretty much agreed that we will try for another. So last night, I mentioned brewing again soon and she balked. "We need to wait until conception first", she said. I told her this would be the best time to brew. She obviously isn't going to be able to handle giving me more complaint-free brew sessions, with or without new child.

Smart move testing the theory before you're irrevocably down the road (probably?), not that its going to change anything :mug:.

I'm in a similar boat, though I'm not getting more brewing out of it lol SWMBO and I have more or less decided to go for Squirrel #2, but we agreed to wait to start pulling the goalie until the holidays for some financial planning reasons. Then one of her GF's got burned by the whole 'cant get pregnant while breastfeeding' myth and so now she's ready to jump the timeline. Maybe I should tell her I can be convinced for unlimited brew time?

Smart move testing the theory before you're irrevocably down the road (probably?), not that its going to change anything :mug:.

I'm in a similar boat, though I'm not getting more brewing out of it lol SWMBO and I have more or less decided to go for Squirrel #2, but we agreed to wait to start pulling the goalie until the holidays for some financial planning reasons. Then one of her GF's got burned by the whole 'cant get pregnant while breastfeeding' myth and so now she's ready to jump the timeline. Maybe I should tell her I can be convinced for unlimited brew time?

I guess I was convinced to have another child regardless. I guess. I still think of more cons than pros, but if it makes her happy... But that was disappointing to hear her already backtracking on her "agreement". I think my best bet for more brewing is smaller batches, hence shorter brew days. Would give me a chance to make sample batches anyway, which I've been wanting to do. Plus I've already got too much beer laying around as it is (I know, I know, you can never have too much beer).

Be careful whenever you do pull the goalie. Seems like the second one happened very easily for us and others we know. Almost too easily.

Let me explain. My wife and I have two kids. Things are great and the kids are starting to play together, giving us a little bit of a break. I brew only about once a month or two, depending on how much we got going on. I'd like to brew more often. I have a small time set up and just started kegging (I have a small one tap kegerator).

Well, my wife wants another kid. I don't. Not really anyway. But she keeps telling me I can brew all I want and make a bigger set up if I give her another kid. What would you do?

If one of the two in a relationship doesn't really want a kid - by all means: do not have another kid.

I guess I was convinced to have another child regardless. I guess. I still think of more cons than pros, but if it makes her happy... But that was disappointing to hear her already backtracking on her "agreement". I think my best bet for more brewing is smaller batches, hence shorter brew days. Would give me a chance to make sample batches anyway, which I've been wanting to do. Plus I've already got too much beer laying around as it is (I know, I know, you can never have too much beer).

Be careful whenever you do pull the goalie. Seems like the second one happened very easily for us and others we know. Almost too easily.

This is my concern too, especially since the the goalie wasn't even pulled for the first one, more just lazy. I've debated small batches for shorter brew days too and be cause I don't drink enough to justify brewing as much as I'd like. That said, I've found creating a wall around my burner with lawn furniture and baby gates has allowed me to brew outside w/ the family thus far... kind of doubt that's going to fly once the temp drops though. Also, I feel like if I went back to small batches I'd have to go back to bottling and that's NOT happening.

Back to the agreement. I'd really push the best time to brew is now angle because even if she were to stick to the terms you're going to be too tired and busy to brew much for the first 6-12 months no matter how supportive she is (you already have 2, you probably know this better than I do).

Regards, GF.
...and we all know how quickly they vacate those contracts.

Update: I think I'm having too much "relations". She's all over me, which is normally a good problem. I think she might even attack me tonight. Can't say I feel any better about having that third child though. Haven't brewed a batch in about a month either...

Maybe she's trying to sap your brewing strength! Like the football coach used to say about having sex the night before, "The Big Game".

Update: I think I'm having too much "relations". She's all over me, which is normally a good problem. I think she might even attack me tonight. Can't say I feel any better about having that third child though. Haven't brewed a batch in about a month either...

Don't worry. All that action will stop immediately after she is impregnated.

Then you can get back to brewing for a few months.

What a question, indeed.
Here's a different perspective.
My wife and I have three wonderful kids; back in the day, we were aiming for rotten ones, but, as another old geezer is fond of asserting, "You can't always get what you want ". So we kept them.
Anyway, when they were young tykes, they did take up lot of our time, a lot of our money, and of course a lot of our desires for stuff and vacations had to be put on hold. We were okay with it all, and even toyed with the idea of bringing another kid into our midst, but alas, it wasn't to be.
Fast forward twenty some years, I'm ever so glad them "kids" have been there all along. Our oldest actually introduced me to craft beers and gave me the idea to start brewing, instead of purchasing and consuming that insipid commercial quaff.
All three have been ever helpful on brew days, and it sure is handy to have them lift those heavy glass carboys. They often also pitch in with money for the grains and yeast. Finally, even when I'm less than enthusiastic about the flavor of a particular batch, they never complain of criticize, but offer kudos and encouragement instead. They are fabulous beer drinking partners.
So, if you love kids, a third one should be welcome, without him/her becoming part of a trade or bargain. And yes, you might have to sacrifice brewing sessions or schedules, but you are already adjusting and compromising as it is, with the presence of your two kids. Furthermore, the expansion of your system might be delayed somewhat, but if you think in terms of a bigger picture, it is all worthwhile in the end.
As long as you and your wife dance to the same song, welcoming another child to your household ought not to prevent you from brewing or enjoying a brewed masterpiece in between tunes.
Cheers.

What a question, indeed.
Here's a different perspective.
My wife and I have three wonderful kids; back in the day, we were aiming for rotten ones, but, as another old geezer is fond of asserting, "You can't always get what you want ". So we kept them.
Anyway, when they were young tykes, they did take up lot of our time, a lot of our money, and of course a lot of our desires for stuff and vacations had to be put on hold. We were okay with it all, and even toyed with the idea of bringing another kid into our midst, but alas, it wasn't to be.
Fast forward twenty some years, I'm ever so glad them "kids" have been there all along. Our oldest actually introduced me to craft beers and gave me the idea to start brewing, instead of purchasing and consuming that insipid commercial quaff.
All three have been ever helpful on brew days, and it sure is handy to have them lift those heavy glass carboys. They often also pitch in with money for the grains and yeast. Finally, even when I'm less than enthusiastic about the flavor of a particular batch, they never complain of criticize, but offer kudos and encouragement instead. They are fabulous beer drinking partners.
So, if you love kids, a third one should be welcome, without him/her becoming part of a trade or bargain. And yes, you might have to sacrifice brewing sessions or schedules, but you are already adjusting and compromising as it is, with the presence of your two kids. Furthermore, the expansion of your system might be delayed somewhat, but if you think in terms of a bigger picture, it is all worthwhile in the end.
As long as you and your wife dance to the same song, welcoming another child to your household ought not to prevent you from brewing or enjoying a brewed masterpiece in between tunes.
Cheers.

Thanks for the insight. I love my two girls and I know I'd love another one too. But, at the same time, I just can't picture that third kid. The energy needed, the sleepless nights (again). My body already feels like it's breaking down. I barely have time to keep up with everything as it is. But, well, my wife wants this so badly, so I guess....

On the brew side, I will be brewing a RIS this weekend, so that will be good times.

...But, at the same time, I just can't picture that third kid.

I know where you are coming from. When we were expecting #2, we said we didn't know how we could love another one as much as the first. When #3 was on the way, we couldn't imaging having enough love for a third. When #4 was on the way, we had finally figured out that the love for the next child just blooms in your heart the moment you see that child. I have 3 girls and a boy (he was #4 - why do you think we kept going!). If we would have had a boy and girl for the first two, I doubt that we would have had more - I was the one always pushing for the next one. But at the same time, I can't imagine not having all of my kids. They are starting to move out now. One is finishing grad school in Pittsburgh, one is married and just moved to Atlanta, the third one wants to move out next year, and the youngest will be heading to college next fall. We are a close family and are constantly texting, calling, teasing each other. As I said, I just can't imagine not having all of them.

So don't worry. You will have the love for a third. And someday you will (hopefully) wonder what you would have done without him/her.

And good luck with the brew day! :mug:

I know where you are coming from. When we were expecting #2, we said we didn't know how we could love another one as much as the first. When #3 was on the way, we couldn't imaging having enough love for a third. When #4 was on the way, we had finally figured out that the love for the next child just blooms in your heart the moment you see that child. I have 3 girls and a boy (he was #4 - why do you think we kept going!). If we would have had a boy and girl for the first two, I doubt that we would have had more - I was the one always pushing for the next one. But at the same time, I can't imagine not having all of my kids. They are starting to move out now. One is finishing grad school in Pittsburgh, one is married and just moved to Atlanta, the third one wants to move out next year, and the youngest will be heading to college next fall. We are a close family and are constantly texting, calling, teasing each other. As I said, I just can't imagine not having all of them.

So don't worry. You will have the love for a third. And someday you will (hopefully) wonder what you would have done without him/her.

And good luck with the brew day! :mug:

Love this insight too!

I think having more kids is one of those things that you don't really know if it's what you truly want until they are here and then it doesn't matter what your doubts were cause when they are right in front of you none of that matters.

I have 5 all pretty close together, within less than 10 years, 3 boys 2 girls and I wouldn't have it any other way I love all of them the same but in different ways. I did have them young so I get your worries about being tired as you are getting older and I can relate but if I did my math right you are still at that age that you can keep up, fast forward 10 years I'd think twice too.

Also I feel having them closer helps for a few reasons, they have someone to help keep them occupied, you are still in it so it's just another sandwich and a few more diapers and again you are young enough to keep up.

You will know when your done, you just have that "I'm done" feeling and you will feel like scheduling your vasectomy.

And as far a brewing goes for me I actually built a system to brew 10-12 gallons and figured out ways to split up batches to brew the same beer but have different outcomes so I brew less, don't get me wrong I love brewing but I've got 4 to 6+ kegs at any given time so when life gets in the way I've got a pipeline that can handle it.

No matter what happens you'll figure it out and you'll find what works for you and your family.

Well I found time to make my RIS today. Looks and tastes right so far. My oldest helped out a bit so that was fun. She really likes tasting and helping to mill the grains. Still don't see how I'm supposed to make beer (or have time for anything) with three kids.

Well I found time to make my RIS today. Looks and tastes right so far. My oldest helped out a bit so that was fun. She really likes tasting and helping to mill the grains. Still don't see how I'm supposed to make beer (or have time for anything) with three kids.

Stop your whining and be a man.

:mug:

Let me explain. My wife and I have two kids. Things are great and the kids are starting to play together, giving us a little bit of a break. I brew only about once a month or two, depending on how much we got going on. I'd like to brew more often. I have a small time set up and just started kegging (I have a small one tap kegerator).

Run. I hope you ran far, far away.

Ah yes, I've been meaning to update everyone on my... activities. The relations have increased, that's for sure. Still no sign of another kid, which is a good thing, in my opinion. I'm wondering if our ages are playing into it a little; maybe I'm running out of seeds.

As for the brewing, I think I've only done a batch or two since this all came up. The weather is a big part of that, plus life just being busy, as always. I do plan to brew a rye IPA very soon.

Great. So today would have been a perfect day for brewing, but I somehow screwed up and didn't take advantage.

And to make matters worse, I'll probably end up having sex tonight anyway.

EDIT: Yep, I knew that was going to happen.

Update: earned 3rd place in a local home brew contest today with my rye IPA! Pretty stoked about that. Set to brew a pale ale next weekend.

Still no sign of a baby (knock on wood) but had to have relations the last few days because "it was time" so we'll see what happens.

Update: earned 3rd place in a local home brew contest today with my rye IPA! Pretty stoked about that. Set to brew a pale ale next weekend.

Still no sign of a baby (knock on wood) but had to have relations the last few days because "it was time" so we'll see what happens.

So your getting laid and making beer!

Since this thread went up I've had the opposite life lol SWMBO is due in Aug, I've had limited time to brew (I think two AG batches and a Cider Kit since this thread started) and I've got my first comp on Sunday. This pregnancy has been a really *****. Wife's had a much rougher go of it than last time (probably due to chasing a toddler non-stop). Sounds like the only time I'm going to get at the competition is the 2 hours my son naps since we have other plans w/ the FIL that afternoon-evening.

frabz-CANT-TELL-IF-TROLLING-OR-JUST-HIGH-6e3173.jpg

Since this thread went up I've had the opposite life lol SWMBO is due in Aug, I've had limited time to brew (I think two AG batches and a Cider Kit since this thread started) and I've got my first comp on Sunday. This pregnancy has been a really *****. Wife's had a much rougher go of it than last time (probably due to chasing a toddler non-stop). Sounds like the only time I'm going to get at the competition is the 2 hours my son naps since we have other plans w/ the FIL that afternoon-evening.

I get it. I feel so stressed all the time with the two kids I got as it is. And no extra time for myself. Can't imagine having three kids and being able to brew more than a few times a year.

I will say, things should get easier for you once your kids are able to play together. A ways off, but still, something to look forward to.

Let’s just say... there were times that I was a hostage. I was just comfortable with believing it wasn’t happening when...

Back