Tracking down phenolic off flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaldApe

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just kegged my Mild a couple of days ago, and there is a powerful band-aid phenolic flavor. There are three conspicuous things I did differently this time, and I'm trying to figure out which was the most likely culprit.

First, I used PBW to clean the kegs and it is possible that I didn't rinse well enough. I wouldn't expect phenols from PBW, but is that possible?

Second, it was the second time I used a new plastic fermenter http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23849
The first batch from this ferementer was very good, no off flavor, so I doubt the plastic is the culprit. I used PBW to clean it in a long soak.

Third, I diluted the wort at the end of the boil with 2 gallons of water, direct from a drinking water safe hose. I allowed it to come back to the boil for sanitation, but might have added some chlorine with the water.

I use Star-San, no chlorine sanitizers. The yeast was the second use on WLP023, yeast collected and washed from a previous batch, then stored in a boiled jar in the fridge for about a month.

The phenolic odor is considerable when I vent the keg. I am hoping it is volatile, and will escape if I vent it daily for a while. Otherwise, I'll have to throw out 10 gallons of what should have been good beer.

Hi all,

I just kegged my Mild a couple of days ago, and there is a powerful band-aid phenolic flavor. There are three conspicuous things I did differently this time, and I'm trying to figure out which was the most likely culprit.

First, I used PBW to clean the kegs and it is possible that I didn't rinse well enough. I wouldn't expect phenols from PBW, but is that possible?

Second, it was the second time I used a new plastic fermenter http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23849
The first batch from this ferementer was very good, no off flavor, so I doubt the plastic is the culprit. I used PBW to clean it in a long soak.

Third, I diluted the wort at the end of the boil with 2 gallons of water, direct from a drinking water safe hose. I allowed it to come back to the boil for sanitation, but might have added some chlorine with the water.

I use Star-San, no chlorine sanitizers. The yeast was the second use on WLP023, yeast collected and washed from a previous batch, then stored in a boiled jar in the fridge for about a month.

The phenolic odor is considerable when I vent the keg. I am hoping it is volatile, and will escape if I vent it daily for a while. Otherwise, I'll have to throw out 10 gallons of what should have been good beer.

Your tap water, unless it's from some well in a developing nation, probably contains chlorine and or chloramines which will stank up a beer stat.

Your tap water, unless it's from some well in a developing nation, probably contains chlorine and or chloramines which will stank up a beer stat.

There are lots of us that are in a developed nation that have well water. I have a well that is in an aquifer that feeds a spring on my neighbor's land, excellent water for brewing...

Could be poor sanitation or even sparging too hot. I wouldn't think it's the water as you've used the water before, correct?

Actually, I think I misidentified the off flavor. I'm wondering if the fact that I added water at the end of the boil, then let it warm back up to a boil for sanitation, but did not vigorously boil at that point could have resulted in a large amount of DMS. My wife does not agree that the off flavor is band-aid, and I think she might be right. More like cooked vegetables.

I have added the same water before post-boil, but I figured I'd be safer sanitation-wise to add it while the wort was still hot. Guess that wasn't so brilliant.

Could be DMS, but you wouldn't get it from adding water, whether boiled or not. DMS comes from the grain and a vigorous uncovered boil will drive it off. If you added the water late in the boil, any DMS should've already been effectively dispatched.

but might have added some chlorine with the water.
Yes sir. It's my understanding that chlorine is detectable in a concentration as little as a few parts per billion (not million, billion). I won't even rinse my brewing equipment with water from the tap unless I filter out the chlorine first....that's how anal I am about it.

Back