Toucan brew ends up a little flat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlito2017

Reaction score
I Have made a few batches of a Brown and Stout and another that uses Stout and a Bitter. I use 1 can of each with either 1/2 or 1kg of (Coopers Brew Enhancer 2). It brews nicely and I leave it in the primary for about 2 weeks. They have all been quite drinkable. My issue is that I use the standard amount of sugar 5oz (Coopers Brew Enhancer 2) when bottling but beer is a little flat when the lid is lifted and will only form a good head if poured from an elevation 12 inches or more above the glass. Is this common, does anybody have any suggestions.

I love these beers, I just wish it would have a better head :confused: :mug:

How long are you letting the bottles condition before trying one? What is the temperature in the room/area you are keeping them in? It takes at least 2 weeks for bottles to carb up to what we would call optimum carbonation. They should be kept at room temp, maybe a little warmer, so the residual yeast can do their thing.

Temp was close to recommended. Time was at least 2 weeks, the ones I am drinking now are about 6 weeks. There is a bit of carbonation when they are opened and if poured from 8 to 12 inches creates a rich dense foamy head. The next batch I will try a wee bit more temp, it's our summer now so it will be warmer anyway.

Add the Brew Enhancer 2 at the end of the boil. Coopers Brew Enhancer 2 contains dextrose, maltodextrin and Light Dry Malt. The dextrose will ferment out completely with no residual cidery flavors whilst the maltodextrin does not ferment thus improving the body, mouth feel and head retention.

Use dextrose or sucrose for carbonation after the fermentation.

This is a rather good carbonation calculator.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

This should give you the head in the glass you want.

After a few brews if you are using flip top bottles they will leak leaving you with minimal carbonation. The gaskets should be changed every brew to be safe. If you aren't using them that's fine, but I like to get the word out because it took me two batches to figure it out early in my brewing career.

Sounds like you are you saying not to use Brew Enhancer 2 when bottling. Is Dextrose or Sucrose the best or would you recommend any other types of sugar for carbonation?

PS I am using 1/2 Liter plastic bottles with fresh new caps each time.

Add the Brew Enhancer 2 at the end of the boil. Coopers Brew Enhancer 2 contains dextrose, maltodextrin and Light Dry Malt. The dextrose will ferment out completely with no residual cidery flavors whilst the maltodextrin does not ferment thus improving the body, mouth feel and head retention.

Use dextrose or sucrose for carbonation after the fermentation.

This is a rather good carbonation calculator.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

This should give you the head in the glass you want.

I read this as he is just giving you the info about the brew enhancer 2 product and what the different ingredients will do when you use it. The only reason I can think of that you shouldn't use the product is that priming sugar doesn't make a huge difference in the end product of your beer when using the amount you need. They are all a small amount of sugar that turns into alcohol and CO2. Some people like to use DME or LME to prime, but I didn't notice a flavor difference between a commercial priming sugar and table sugar, which is always what I use now.

Back