Total Rookie Mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slinky0390

Reaction score
So today hasn't been my day... My truck dropped a couple valves and Dodge is going to rape my pockets to fix it, after I just spent 700 to get my ABS control module replaced. I figured this would be a great time to relax and bottle my porter. Everything was going great, I had everything sanitized in record time, everything just seemed to be going my way. I went in my basement to rack my batch to my bottling bucket, and got a great siphon going, it was really fast moving. I ran upstairs to boil my priming sugar, then came back down to realize I left my valve open on my bucket and that I had about a gallon of my brew sitting on my basement floor :facepalm: All I can say is thank god for Scott box-o-rags, those things suck up a ton of liquid. The worst part is, is that its by my furnace, so I'm hoping I got everything otherwise the house is going to smell like a rotting orange porter.

oh man i had a wort boilover on my electric element stove a couple batches ago and it was a sticky, stinky mess. Im glad i caught it in time and only lost a little beer but i still had to take everything apart and clean all the burnt, crispy sugar off. Its all part of the experience and fun tho!

I went in my basement to rack my batch to my bottling bucket, and got a great siphon going, it was really fast moving. I ran upstairs to boil my priming sugar, then came back down to realize I left my valve open on my bucket and that I had about a gallon of my brew sitting on my basement floor

I did the same thing except I had checked the valve and thought I had it closed. My gallon or a bit more ended up on the kitchen floor, the kitchen of a wife that hates the smell of beer. I got it cleaned up and aired out so by the time she came home she couldn't smell a bit of it. WHEW! Now I check that valve really close before I walk away.

I did something similar last weekend when bottling. I had finished bottling an entire case, sans capping. I set the filler into one of the bottles from the next case every so lightly so that nothing would come out. I didn't hear any liquid pouring into the bottle but didn't even think to check. I started capping the previous case and after getting through about half I looked over to see the bottle where the filler was set overflowing and about 3 beers of Nutcracker Ale sitting on my bathroom floor.

Don't feel so bad, when I racked my Christmas Ale this year, which I made dark, when I pulled my siphon up, the tube came out of the carboy and when I pushed down, a decent amount when all over the white carpet. All I can say is thank gosh for those little Bissel carpet cleaners. When the gf came out after hearing me swearing and the Bissel running, she just started laughing. Guess were not getting our deposit back on our apartment. LOL.

I got you beat. Two weeks ago I shattered a full carboy in the kitchen. Thankfully it was only diluted starsan. Went to dump, hand slipped off the bottom, edge hit the floor and blam, water and glass everywhere. My girlfriend couldn't believe that I didn't swear once. I just stood there in the puddle silently staring for about 5 mins then quietly said "sweetheart, do we have a mop?"

Ok, so I'm glad I'm not alone with dumb things like these, I didn't think I was but I had to check lol. I think what got me the most about it was that I really didn't know what to do about it, I kinda just stood there in the puddle and said "****" and looked at it for 5 minutes. A gallon doesn't seem like a lot till you have to clean it up a floor haha.

Its the sense of disbelief and astonishment that gets you, ya just freeze right up.

Back