Total Newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evets

Reaction score
Hi Folks!, I'm Ev
I'm here because I love beer.
I don't know the first thing about brewing, but I'm ready to get started. So, what's the best way to start? A kit, I suppose? Which one? The best first recipe? Please help me get started.

I started with http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html which is a link to a complete book online by John Palmer. It is a great start, and lays it all out for you. I read it a couple times before putting any malt to water, and was better for it. I even used the recipe in the starting out section, and it came out great. You can get going with a kit for around 50-75 bucks, and you will also need a pot to be able to boil. I bought a cheap 16QT pot, and I do partial boils, but I am working on a full boiler right now for spring. Aside from that, I would start with extract with some specialty grains, maybe- Like I said, I did the recipe right in Palmer's book and was pleased, both with the instructions and the results.
you can get kits from most Home Brew Supply/Shops. If you have access to a shop, they are normally a great place to get some face to face advice as well.

Welcome aboard!

Welcome aboard, Evets! I'm with Truble. Started out by first reading J Palmer's site over several time (at least the first few sections) before ever picking up my first piece of equipment.

Read up, (re)search liberally, and ask questions :)

Hi and Welcome to the Forums.
I am pretty new too and I would echo the advice to read the Palmer book, read the Forums and ask questions. I'm hooked on this hobby. If you have a local homebrew shop be sure to check out their stuff.

Well, I just finished reading the first part of the J. Palmer book on his site, and a bunch of posts here. I gotta believe, I can do this! This looks like fun, and I can hardly wait to get started! I know there used to be a wine makers supply shop nearby. Not sure if they're still there. I'll check it out and go from there. Thanx guys, I'll keep you posted!
Ev

hey, and welcome aboard! main thing to remember is patience, cleanliness and sanitation is next to Godliness, and fresh ingredients is what makes good beer!
don't hold back on questions either! you'll always get a good, solid answer from these guys on the fourm.
keep us posted.

Hey evets, just wanted to welcome you to the forum. Looks like everyone's already pointed you in the right direction , so please post any questions you have we'll be more than helpful. :D

Back