Torrefied Wheat vs Flaked Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cloud Surfer

Reaction score
I’m about to brew a Dunkelweizen, and bought a small amount of both of these because I couldn’t decide which to get. I’m using it to improve the head retention in the beer.

If you could use just one of these for the job, which would you pick?

You may find that you don’t need either for head retention since in a traditional dunkelweizen at least half of your grist will be wheat malt. To answer your question though I’d go for flaked, no strong reason though.

Dunkelweizen is a wheat beer, brewed with malted wheat (at least 50%) and barley. You wouldn't need to use any other form of wheat in this style. There's plenty of protein in the malted wheat to sustain that head.

Torrefied wheat is typically used in English styles. Flaked wheat is not really traditional in anything, as far as I know. I wouldn't use either in a German weizen.

I suspect there will be very little difference between the two, so probably not so critical.

I did a Hefeweizen, and while it was nicely carbed, the head doesn’t last long. So just trying to improve on that. I use wheat LME, and mini-mash the rest of the grains. So perhaps my head retention suffers from using extract for the wheat.

Head retention can also suffer if your glassware has soap residue so that could be your culprit as well

Sounds like you nailed it with the LME theory. Frankly, in that case I'd just toss both wheat adjuncts into the mash. Can't hurt, and it's at least the right grain to match the recipe even if not in a traditional form.

How much of the grist is made up of those grains?

Torrified wheat is pre-gelatenized, but still unmalted. I would suggest a step mash for conversion. Beta Glucan (110 F), protein (122), before doing a sacc rest.

Flaked wheat is great and all, but as others mentioned, it's generally used for head retention which you shouldn't have any issues with based on the style. I personally wouldn't use more than 10-12% of the grist if you do end up using it.

Also, it may go without saying. Rice hulls are your friend. Cheers and gl with the brew.

Back