Torpedo/Salamander Heaters - Propane, Kerosene or...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joeywhat

Reaction score
While this isn't exactly beer/brewing related in the strict sense, I figure there's at least a few people out there using these types of heaters while brewing.

I'm going to do some brewing in the garage and it's a little cold out. Are there any appreciable differences between the kerosene, propane, NG or other heaters? I'm thinking specifically of salamander style heaters. I've only used kerosene before...propane would certainly be easier to use...but I don't know if I'm cheating myself somewhere along the line with all the choices I have.

If I do go for a propane model, do I have any options for using a single tank to run my burner and heater?

Almost any heater that burns fuel will increase the amount of CO and CO2 in the environment. Because you're already using propane, it is even more imperative that you have proper ventilation and a CO detector installed.

A CO detector is cheap insurance against...death.

That's all. I won't derail the discussion any further. Back to your regularly scheduled heater thread.

Kerosene heaters smell awful, and so will you after being around one for very long. Natural gas is probably cheaper to operate than LP, but an LP heater is more mobile.

+1 on the propane.kerosene smells like ass!!!! and it makes my eyes burn like hell.propane is infinitly portable and there are tons of options for size,style and btu's

I've also been considering a NG wall heater, the ones with blowers to help circulate the warm air. Thoughts on those?

I realize it's not quite as portable, however it would help in winter if my power goes out. I have NG connections inside the house I could hook it up to. Is it any safer indoors then propane?

I have a fuel diesel/fuel oil/kerosene salamander and a propane salamander and use the propane heater much more than the diesel heater..

My choice would be to use electric radiant heaters, the kind that has a red-hot glowing rod in front of a reflector. You have the garage door open (as I would too) so a heater that heats the air is wasting a lot of heat. Also, with electricity there is no additional exhaust to worry about.

I've also been considering a NG wall heater, the ones with blowers to help circulate the warm air. Thoughts on those?

I realize it's not quite as portable, however it would help in winter if my power goes out. I have NG connections inside the house I could hook it up to. Is it any safer indoors then propane?

My family used somthing close to this http://http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=51266-51507-ML150TPE&lpage=none
for our primary heat source for several years. I would think this would be as cheap as a torpedo heater and much safer in an enclosed space. I know you can get feet for them to make them more portable and I would think you could get natural gas units if you wanted to mount it permenatly. I would still go with Yuri suggestions about a CO2 detector, cheap insurance any time you have open combustion.

Both NG and propane unvented wall heaters are safe for indoor use IF they are rated for it. I've added a 10,000 BTU propane wall unit in my brewery. Don't use it much as the fryer heats the space nicely even with the window open. I've also got a vented 150,000 BTU "Hot Dawg" hanging in the garage.

From experience!! Propane is more expensive, and the burning of it creates a LOT of condensate in the roon on that cold day. NG is clean and less expensive. Kerosene leaves a buildup of "gunk"/film and WILL leave a scent and taste on all your grain and supplies if they are not well sealed.

The NG salamander works well, but ALWAYS provide ample ventilation and/or place a carbon monoxide detector in the room.

I'm brewing on 12/26. It will be very cold here in PA. I just bundle up a little more, and use the salamander rarely.

Good luck and be safe

Back