Torpedo Keg Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ringo311

Reaction score
I'm new to kegging and bought a 2.5 gallon torpedo keg. I'm kegging in a week or two and started looking more closely at the process. My torpedo keg has an oval lid and on the top of the lid it says "do not remove lid". I'm kind of confused, since the morebeer.com pictures show it as a circular lid. I need to do more research but this is the first place i turned. Thanks!

I'm new to kegging and bought a 2.5 gallon torpedo keg. I'm kegging in a week or two and started looking more closely at the process. My torpedo keg has an oval lid and on the top of the lid it says "do not remove lid". I'm kind of confused, since the morebeer.com pictures show it as a circular lid. I need to do more research but this is the first place i turned. Thanks!

Can you share a pic or two of it?

Here you go.

2110423905892402425-account_id=1.jpg

1115030083638604454-account_id=1.jpg

lol

I have those kegs.

DO NOT REMOVE LID - UNDER PRESSURE ....

the warning continues under the relief valve.

vent it before trying to remove it (although I don't think if it's under pressure you can remove it).

When kegging, you'll need to add some pressure and guide it in place for a good seal. If you place the lid and lock it without adding pressure, it may not sit right and can leak. Once you have it in place, then purge the headspace air by a few series of venting and recharging. I do this about three times trying to visualize the volume if air that has been purged so that I am confident it's all virgin CO2.

The wide lid makes for easy cleaning. When I sanitize, at the end I out the lid on and hook up the CO2 and a party tap to flush the stem and out valve. I should hook that up to my faucet tower to flush the line after removing a keg - can't hurt sanitizing a keg AFTER a use right? I have to clean it anyway.

Looks normal to me. Where does it say "Do not remove?" If the lid was circular, you couldn't get it out of the hole.

Back