Torpedo Keg Metallic Smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ringo311

Reaction score
I have a torpedo keg that I used for the first time for a stout and I just finished off the keg. The whole time I had it in the keg (2-3 months) the beer had a metallic taste to it. After cleaning out the keg and sticking my nose inside, I smelled very strongly the same metallic smell. If I can smell it in the keg, is it possible I'm smelling/tasting the same thing in the beer? I associate the same smell and taste to beer in cans, especially coors light which taste super metallicy to me. Thanks!

It is certainly possible but I can't say that I've ever had that problem with my torpedo kegs. I fill the empty keg with hot water and add PBW, let it sit for a few hours, scrub with a carboy brush and scrub the out tube with a long tubing brush , empty and rinse. Then sanitize with Star San.

The first time I used my torpedo kegs there was definitely a metallic taste to them. Thankfully, at that time, I didn't have a beer ready for it and just carbed up some water. A few washes of hot water and oxyclean/PBW should do the trick.

Back