Topping-Off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eslais

Reaction score
I know this may be the most basic question ever asked here, but, how do you usually top mead after discarding the hydrometer liquid? Filtered water/tap water, mixture of water and honey?

Thanks!

Others who use brewing as their standard may discard the sample you pulled to measure the gravity but most wine makers and mead makers I know who are diligent about their sanitation protocol (using K-meta to sanitize) have no concern about returning the sample back to the fermenter. There is no real concern about "souring" as honey ain't grain and is not as susceptible to lactic bacteria as beer. If your concern is oxidation the amount of time your sample is exposed to O2 is fairly negligible and you are presumably measuring the mead while the yeast is actively pumping out CO2.
But if you are concerned then I would top up with a similar wine/mead or a mix of honey and water. Water is going to dilute the flavors.
An alternative option is to use a bucket as your primary and aim for a larger batch than the batch size your carboy can hold. I store this excess in my fridge and use that to top up my carboy when needed.

I'm very diligent about my sanitation protocol (however, I clean it with a selfmade mix which is antibacterial soap, bleach and antibacterial cleaner), but since every comment I read about this is that you should discard the sample, I did it. Thanks by the way, it didn't occur to me that I could store some in the fridge to use later :)

Thanks for the fast answer too

If you sanitize with K-meta then the SO2 that acts as the bactericide also acts to inhibit oxidation and so any K-meta left coating your hydrometer and sample cylinder will become part of the sample. Wine makers routinely add K-meta (more or less) each time they rack (and K-meta is added along with K-sorbate to inhibit re-fermentation) so using K-meta (rather than Star San etc) should help further remove any concerns you have about returning the sample to the carboy.

I strictly sanitize, I do pour the test sample back, but I always pour a small amount for tasting purposes. The nose and taste buds are another sensitive tool for mead makers, but it can be subjective.

Latest posts

Back