Topped off wort with sanitizer water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arkain

Reaction score
So without really thinking about what I was doing I topped off the last two gallons of my wort with Easy Clean.

I had a sink full of LD Carlson Easy Clean all mixed up to sanitize stuff and I put it in my wort. Looking at the back of the container I'm seeing all kinds of warnings about what to do in case of ingestion
Did I destroy my beer?

What's a good source of water to top off my wort? Can I use the filtered water from my sink?

Woah, nice first post! Sorry, couldn't help it. It's probably toast. I'm having a hard time finding out what type of cleaner it is. If its acid based (like Star-San), its probably fine. If it's chlorine based, it should be safe at that dilution, but might not ferment.

I see you say you had a "sink full", was the sink just full of it? In the future, boil a couple gallons of filtered water on the stove (near the beginning of the main boil) for 15 minutes. Leave it on the stove with the lid on. If you need top off water at the end, use that. If not, make tea or something.

If it's fermenting, then you'll probably end up with a chemical-tasting beer. If you really want a better indication, then take a beer from your fridge and mix it 3:2 with some more sanitizer and have a sip.

The only rational answer here is that you are making a feeble attempt at punking us. Why else would a guy bilge out his sink full of sanitizer to top off his fermenter and try to sell it as "I wasn't really thinking".

The only other answer is you are a fecking idiot.

It's a no rinse solution so you might be able to get away with it - BUT... Easy Clean is not a sanitizer, but a cleanser, just like OxyClean, Cascade, etc. Easy Clean is not a a traditional detergent though, it's an oxygen based cleanser that essentially cleans by releasing oxygen gas. That being said, given it's chemical makeup, I have heard some surmise that hydrogen peroxide could also be a byproduct as Easy Clean reacts just like other products in this class (carbonate perhydrate). Carbonate Perhydrate itself is indeed toxic, but you have diluted to create a no rinse solution, and the alcohol and the natural acids in your beer should help in denaturing any hydrogen peroxide give off - I would think. Whatever the case, you might get some oxidation or some off flavors. Or you might have a beer that is not quite healthy to consume, despite it cleansing your insides out as you imbibe.

Just my $0.02 - but I thought you should have more of the background on Easy Clean so you can use that as a base for your own decision.

But like everyone else here, I'm not quite clear on how you went about using a sink filled with cleanser to top off your carboy...

http://www.basicsofhomebrewing.com/bohb38percarbonate.html

it's supposed to be a no-rinse solution, so idk...you should be....sortof okay? this is the stuff I use to sanitize my...stuff (insert penis joke here) and it came with my kit, so I'm using it till it runs out and I'll go buy some starsan. technically no longer a sanitizer according to the FDA, or so I've read in the last week or so on HBT, but you definitely topped off your wort with this, instead of having it just be a few drops on the inside of your bucket...to be honest, let it run its course. when you take your hydrometer reading after fermentation, if it tastes fine, you'll probably be fine, and you're only out a week or so of time.

You dumped 2 GALLONS of cleaning solution in your beer (nearly half the total volume... lol) , you've read the poison-control labeling, and you're still actually considering giving it a shot and seeing how things turn out?

Seriously?

And other people agree?

LOL. Now I think I understand why my primary bucket warns against using it to tick-dip your infants.

Yeah dump it and don't do it again. How you manage to make such a mistake is still a mystery since the water seemed to be in the sink... or something.

Would you be asking the same question if you dumped 2 gallons of dish water into your recipe of spaghetti sauce ? Dish water that is also potentialy TOXIC ?

I hope the OP wasn't scared away. I'm curious as to a sink-full of any liquid makes it into a fermenter.

Latest posts

Back