Top or Bottom Priming?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteOz77

Reaction score
I am about to keg my first 3 brews and have a silly question. I am guessing that it doesn't matter where the dextrose is, as the yeast will find it, but do you guys put the dextrose in before or after you keg the beer?

Also, should I put the filled, primed kegs in the cold fridge immediately, or leave them at room temp for a week?

When I use priming sugar, I add it after filling.

Leave at room temperature, just like bottles.

Most people don't naturally carb kegs, myself included... But if you do, I would say you're probably better off pre-boiling the sugar in a bit of water to make sure it is fully dissolved, exactly as you'd do for bottling - and of course you need to leave it at room temperature until it's fully carbed, just like bottles. Yeast don't do much, or at least work quickly, in the fridge. It should make no difference when you add the sugar, as long as it's in there and dissolved.

I treat the kegs like a bottling bucket. Boil 0.5L of water with the priming sugar and add to the bottom of the keg then rack the beer on top. At this point it's just a big bottle, seal, purge, stash away to condition at room temperature for 3-4 weeks.

Latest posts

Back