Top off from water dispenser?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yet another question before my first brew...sorry, I should have written all these down and posted all in one rather than a few at a time.

I have a water dispenser in my house because the local water tastes horrible. We get water from a local machine that dispenses it when you put the money in (back into the same jugs we have already used). As soon as the jugs are filled, I cap them and they stay capped until I put them upside down into the dispenser.

Bottom line...we drink directly out of it, but have no idea on how to "sanitize" that spout where the water comes out (or inside the cooler before the water gets to spout). Should I boil the 2 gallons of water (and cool it) before putting it into the wort (well, into the fermentor before the wort goes in).

Thanks!

After boiling it I'd suggest putting it in a freezer or fridge to help drop the temp of your wort. I do that with jug water in case I need top off water.

You bring up a good point. I think instead of using that water, I will just buy jugs of water and cool them off in fridge or freezer.

I think that would be great. I'd also sanitize the mouth of the water bottle just before pouring it into the fermenter to be sure you're not carrying any nasties in.

Latest posts

Back