Top 5 obscure albums

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
giant016 said:
-Gogol Bordello-Gypsy Punks
I went to a show in Worcester, MA once that involved Cake and Tegan & Sara.......Gogol Bordello was the opening act. I had never heard of them and I was completely, totally, 100% blow the f*ck away. One of the weirdest, most surprising and completely unexpected performances I've ever seen. I left the show feeling like someone slipped me some acid and I hallucinated the whole thing.
....I was mumbling start wearing purple, wearing purple......start wearing purple for me now.... for weeks......:rockin:

Fiery Sword said:
I went to a show in Worcester, MA once that involved Cake and Tegan & Sara.......Gogol Bordello was the opening act. I had never heard of them and I was completely, totally, 100% blow the f*ck away. One of the weirdest, most surprising and completely unexpected performances I've ever seen. I left the show feeling like someone slipped me some acid and I hallucinated the whole thing.
....I was mumbling start wearing purple, wearing purple......start wearing purple for me now.... for weeks......:rockin:
Thats what I'm talkin' bout! When I saw them, every single f*cking person in the joint was dancing.

There have been some good one posted, so I will add some of my out of the mainstream fav's that have not been mentioned yet. In no particular order...

October Project - October Project
Peter Murphy - Deep
The Eric Gales Band - The Eric Gales Band
The Oblivious - America
Altered State - Altered State
School of Fish - School of Fish
They Might Be Giants - They Might Be Giants
Peter's Cathedral - Big Magic Blue

OK, so I can't count properly - I just finished bottling my Baltic Porter and a good assortment of brews.

Super proud moment for me (as a father) tonight.

I'm listening to the new Type O Negative album, and my son - my pride and joy - my little 14 month old Miles starts dancing to the music. Now, I should mention that he's a total music nut and LOVES dancing to music, but to see him getting down to Gothic Metal....it just made my year.

Blues Project : Projections
Cat Mother and the All Night Newsboys: The Street Giveth....
Procol Harum: Shine On Brightly
The Rosenbergs: Department Store Girl
Fountains of Wayne: Fountains of Wayne

1. Botch -- We Are The Romans or American Nervoso
2. Amon Tobin -- Out From Out Where or Supermodified
3. Medeski Martin and Wood -- Combustication or End of the World Party (Just in Case)
4. Sufjan Stevens -- Illinoise
5. Boards of Canada -- Music Has the Right to Children or Campfire Headphase

Wow. I've never been to this section of Homebrew Talk. I like :mug:

There are so many, and seriously not enough time to really put critical thought into this. Here is a mere glimpse into my list of quality albums that deserve more recognition.

My Top 5 are:

1. The Buggles - The Age of Plastic
2. David Bowie - Earthling
3. Chet Baker - Lets Get Lost (soundtrack to the movie... very rare)
4. The Divine Comedy - (anything by this band, really)
5. The Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane, at Carnegie Hall - This recording was released this year, and is a must have; like Miles Davis' Kind of Blue.

I am certainly going to be extending this list. I've begun thinking way too much about this now... need more homebrew :tank:

5gB

I'm reviving this thread after picking up Muse's "Black Holes and Revelations". This album RAWKS!! It's like QOTSA meets ELO and Queen. Abso-friggin-lutely brilliant. Not a new album, but new to me.

OK, most of you probably aren't into metal(which is the only reason these are obscure), but give 'em a shot...

1. 3 Inches of Blood - Advance and Vanquish
2. Death - The Sound of Perseverance
3. Grave Digger - Grave Digger
4. Norther - Death Unlimited
5. Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution

:rockin:

Flaw - through the eyes (great hard rock band with a few light acoustic songs)

Modest Mouse - all there albums are great!! (great drinking music.... i think they are BIG beer drinkers too)

The Dandy Warhols - Thirteen Tales from Urban Bohemia

Last edited by a moderator:
DeathBrewer, I'm into a bit of metal but not much. I'm really into prog rock/metal

I would suggest checking out Dream Theater, widely heard of, but not widely known (at least less in the US)

albums:
Scense From a Memory
Octavarium
Systematic Chaos (just came out June 2007)

Also check out "Symphony X" and "Porcupine Tree", very cool prog bands, not widely heard of.

1. Magnolia Electric Co. - Nashville Moon
  2. Camera Obscura - Let's Get Out of This Country
  3. The Long Winters - Putting The Days to Bed
  4. Gob Iron - Death Songs for the Living
  5. The Black Keys - Magic Potion

OK these aren't in any order of greatness or anything, but this is a cool thread, so.....

1. Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
2. Polvo - Exploded Drawing
3. Pale Saints - Slowbuildings
4. Stereolab - Transient Random Noise Bursts with Announcements
5. Urge Overkill - Saturation
6. Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun

I know that's 6 but, these are really good...I'll have some more later! :rockin:

X – Los angeles
X – Under the big Black Sun
The Replacements – Tim
Sugar – Copper Blue
Dave Alvin – Ashgrove
Wilco – Yankee hotel foxtrot
Stone Roses-Self titled debut

Alright, Got to get in on this one...

1. Reverend Horton Heat - Smoke 'em If ya Got 'em (Psychobilly Freakout)
2. Suburban Lawns - Suburban Lawns (Oh my genitals.. I'm a Janitor)
3. 999 - High Energy Plan (Homicide)
4. Maurice and the Cliches - Veronika (Soft Core)

Jolie Holland - Catalpa
The Pogues - Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash
Tom Waits - Mule Variations

Any other Jolie Holland alblum (Escondida or Springtime can kill you)

Thats all I can think of for Truly obscure stuff.

Architecture in Helsinki - In Case We Die
The Knife - Silent Shout
LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
Hot Chip - The Warning
The Fiery Furnaces - Blueberry Boat

holy crap! I finally made it to the last page. I hate it when I come across a thread I'm interested in and it's 15 pages long. I wanted to scan thru the posts to see what everyone else was saying before I chime in. anyway here are mine off the top of my head:

1 The Stooges: Funhouse
2 The Blasters: American Music
3 Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros: Streetcore
4 The Delta72: 000
5 T Model Ford: Pee Wee Get My Gun

[edit] and the inevitable number 6: The Soledad Brothers: S/T

I will also give honorable mention to Tom Waits, but I kinda prefer to listen to his music in a mixed cd format. The albums jump around in mood a lot and I can never decide on any one to listen to by itself.

robnog said:
Architecture in Helsinki - In Case We Die
The Knife - Silent Shout
LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
Hot Chip - The Warning
The Fiery Furnaces - Blueberry Boat

Great list, but that Fiery Furnaces album, man. I thought it was the most amazing thing I'd ever heard when I first listened to it. About a week later, I was sick of it. Really weird. I should give it another try.

Torchiest said:
Great list, but that Fiery Furnaces album, man. I thought it was the most amazing thing I'd ever heard when I first listened to it. About a week later, I was sick of it. Really weird. I should give it another try.

I was just the opposite. The first time I heard it I thought it was the aural equivalent of a cheese grater. A week later I loved it. Now I listen to it occasionally, but for no more than 30 minutes at a time. Any more than that and my brain starts to melt.

Here's mine:

1. Monty Python-"Monty Python Sings"
2. Ottmar Liebert-"Luna Negra"
3. Axe-"Nemesis"
4. Blind Melon Chitlin-Any (see if anyone gets this one)
5. My Life with the Thrill Kill Cult-"Dirty Little Secrets"

I'm mostly into classic rock and blues, but you did say obscure.

it rules theres a bunch of folks into good hardcore punk and metal here.

Death - Scream Bloody Gore
Napalm Death - Scum
DRI - Dirty Rotten ep or Dealing With It (how can you choose????)
Suicidal Tenedencies - S/T
Nuclear Assault - Game Over

honorable mention:
Slayer - Hell Awaits
Carcass - Peel Sessions
Terrorizer - World Downfall

I'm loving that there are Thrill Kill Kult fans here. They're one of my fave bands of all times - not only is their music great, but I lost my virginity to a girl I met at a TKK concert. When I went away to school, I met a girl at a party wearing a TKK shirt. I complimented it, and 45 minutes later she blew me.

Back