Top 10 Beer states

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it were top ten best beer i bet Michigan would definatly be on there. With the amount of craft beer i have bought i think i may have contributed 1% by myself towards the sales growth.

Yeah, I'm surprised MI didn't rank. Not surprised that IL is not on the list though. We have jack **** for breweries here. Two Brother's is good, and Goose Island is an obvious one, but not much else worth mentioning (well, maybe Emmett's).

Way to go New Hampshire.. I knew my home state would be good for something. Did they say 35 gallons a years?? Yikes, I drink twice that...

I think Vermont NH and Maine should all be combined. Vermont doesn't deserve #2 if you don't include the surrounding area, IMO.

Yeah, I'm surprised MI didn't rank. Not surprised that IL is not on the list though. We have jack **** for breweries here. Two Brother's is good, and Goose Island is an obvious one, but not much else worth mentioning (well, maybe Emmett's).

How is three floyds? Havent had the opportunity yet. Floosmore station is great,out side of chicago i think.Tried a few then checked them out on ratebeer and they have pretty steep ratings for alot of their beer.

Craft beer is alive and well here in Washington state. And if we run out we just drive south to Oregon.

Not too many surprises on there. For me, NH was a little bit of a shock though. Take away their Budweiser plant and they probably lose that spot. I knew NY would place high because of the large contract breweries we have, but the big draw here is liquors with the upper-class, which is reflected in our low-per capita consumption. What's a good explanation for most of the top 10 states being concentrated on the coasts?

bovineblitz said:
I think Vermont NH and Maine should all be combined. Vermont doesn't deserve #2 if you don't include the surrounding area, IMO.

Really? Did you read the article? Vt has more breweries per capita than any other state. It's not the size that matters...

I think California taking the win was pretty obvious. I'm glad good ol NY placed; we have some awesome breweries! (and a couple not so awesome)

People get too caught up in state loyalty, i'm not offended by pennsylvania's exclusion in the top ten. Our distibution regulations howevere...

Really? Did you read the article? Vt has more breweries per capita than any other state. It's not the size that matters...

I'm thinking quality here. I suppose it stems from the fact that I don't like the prevalence of diacetyl throwing English yeast in New England in general, plus Smuttynose tastes like pennies to me and is thus undrinkable. Sucks, cuz I can tell they're good, I'm just sensitive to something in their water I guess. One of my friends and my gf are sensitive to it too.

Oklahoma not present??? What a SHOCKER!!! :drunk:

No major surprises in the list with the Pacific NW being the place to get your drink on. God I love that part of the country.

I'm thinking quality here. I suppose it stems from the fact that I don't like the prevalence of diacetyl throwing English yeast in New England in general, plus Smuttynose tastes like pennies to me and is thus undrinkable. Sucks, cuz I can tell they're good, I'm just sensitive to something in their water I guess. One of my friends and my gf are sensitive to it too.

Smutty is NH. Harpoon has a place in VT (as well as Boston). Otter Creek is really good. Trout River has a great Red. Long Trail (the budweiser of VT) is a damn fine beer. Double and tripple bag anyone? These are only the bigger guys. Come on up to Vermont and we'll do a tour. Plenty of little breweries kicking around in the sleep towns up here.

I hear you on the water at Smuttynose. It's nothing like that dirty water down there. ;)

I can't believe that Maryland is not on there. They are one of the craft beer hubs. There are tons of great brewers in the Baltimore area.

Sadly, Virginia is probably near bottom. We do have some bright and shiny brewers such as Starr Hill Brewery (haven't had a bad brew from them).

Happy to see Montana on the list. We went there on a road trip a couple weeks ago and I thought I had died and gone to beer heaven.

And it was number 10! I am going to make more trips south of the border to keep my palette satisfied and my liver toxic.

Smutty is NH. Harpoon has a place in VT (as well as Boston). Otter Creek is really good. Trout River has a great Red. Long Trail (the budweiser of VT) is a damn fine beer. Double and tripple bag anyone? These are only the bigger guys. Come on up to Vermont and we'll do a tour. Plenty of little breweries kicking around in the sleep towns up here.

I hear you on the water at Smuttynose. It's nothing like that dirty water down there. ;)

ohhhh yeahhhh, whoops

McNeil's is pretty damn good and I like Rock Art a lot. I suppose I should reconsider... I've had beers from just about every place in VT. I was at the harpoon bbq fest a few weeks ago, that was fun. Long Trail and Trout River are fine, same with Magic Hat, they're fine, easy drinking beers, but I don't get too excited about them. Small town breweries would be interesting, I suppose I haven't had a lot from them.

Colorado>California

California has some great breweries... but they do not deserve the top spot. Those guys in CO just flat out know what they are doing. Let the Californians have their wine.

I think oregon/washington/michigan should round out the top 5.

Obviously this is an opinion post only. BUt I have been to every brewery on the front range (CO), and about 15-20 in California. Colorado takes my vote as better brewers. I know nothing about the east coast breweries

I think it's safe to say that the report was a tad flawed. It didn't take into account craft breweries only, and most of us here on this site aren't really concerned with AB or MillerSAB (or whatever they're calling themselves these days).

With that said, CO has to be top 3 at least (if not #1) for quality micro and craft brewery states. Not to mention there's Golden City Brewery just west of the big MillerCoors building that has an amazing Habanero/Coffee/Chocolate seasonal stout that will flat out knock your socks off and send them down the street! I think CO deserves #1 just for that wonderful libation!

I think it's safe to say that the report was a tad flawed. It didn't take into account craft breweries only, and most of us here on this site aren't really concerned with AB or MillerSAB (or whatever they're calling themselves these days).

With that said, CO has to be top 3 at least (if not #1) for quality micro and craft brewery states. Not to mention there's Golden City Brewery just west of the big MillerCoors building that has an amazing Habanero/Coffee/Chocolate seasonal stout that will flat out knock your socks off and send them down the street! I think CO deserves #1 just for that wonderful libation!

Golden city's IPA and IIPA are AMAZING. Stay away from the mad molly brown.

Someone was just arguing with me about AZ being a good craft brew state. I posted how un craft friendly it was and they replied otherwise. I wish it was better...maybe some day.

Most of my favorite breweries are in CA and CO. They def make the top 2 for me. Unfortunately, I can't get a lot of east coast beers in AZ yet so I can't comment on them.

I've heard lots of good things about CO, but you have to be in CO to get most of the benefits of CO. Other than New Belgium and the Coors line, we don't get CO beers here, but we get tons and tons of CA beers.

CA for the win!!

tanzen-0067.gif

Try being from Missouri, where "if it aint Budweiser, get out" is the motto. We have a couple of good breweries, but I'd count your blessings....

Back