Took the plunge with a FastFerment. Have a couple questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pookie

Reaction score
First and foremost, this is my first post and my first foray into home brewing. So I'd like to say Hi to everyone here and thank you for any advice you can give, the information I've gleaned by lurking, as well as welcoming me into the forum.

For the past month or so I've been reading up on home brewing and I think I'm at the point where no new information will help until I get some hands on experience to fully understand it. So I took the plunge into home brewing and ordered a FastFerment. Good or bad, I liked the idea of the conical fermenter design. I may in the future go to a more traditional carboy setup as well, but for now it's just going to be the FastFerment. I THINK I know what I need to brew my first batch, but there aren't any beginner's guides in regards to the FastFerment so I was hoping someone could ounce-over where I am heading to make sure I don't miss anything.

I plan on doing an extract kit for my first brew to keep things simple. I was leaning towards an Ale but a local microbrewery got me hooked on hefeweizen so I kind off want to try that unless it's a bad idea for a first brew. To actually brew the wort I plan on purchasing a 40 qt. stainless stock pot and a candy thermometer. The stirring utensils, measuring glass, and mixing containers I will just use from my wife's collection. I will also need proper cleaner and sanitizer for every piece of equipment in all steps.

I ordered the FastFerment and it's thermometer. The only other things I will need for the fermentation process is a room thermometer and hydrometer. I believe the FastFerment comes with a gravity fed bottling tube so I won't need a siphon or additional buckets.

For the finished product, I'm planning on bottles for the first batch. I've been saving my bottles for the past couple weeks so after cleaning and sanitizing all I will need is a capper and caps and a place to store the full bottles until carbonated and then it's into the house fridge (there's enough room for the ~60 bottles).

I believe that's it. Please let me know if I've missed something or if you have advice, pointers, words of wisdom etc. Once again, thank you for your help.

i think they look awesome. i wash my yeast to it would make that task very simple.
although one of the things i really liked doing when i started brewing was watching the beer moving around in the carboy. i'd sit there for like 20 mins just watching the yeasties stir up the whole carboy lol

I agree with c-rider you dropped a lot for a first timer, but you have it so lets make use of it. Im guessing you are going to mount it to a wall since you didn't say you bought a stand. No big deal I used a 2X6 long enough to span three studs bolted the mounts to the 2X6 and then used bigger lag bolts to secure the 2X6 to the studs. That things not moving. The tube supplied will work to fill bottles, but for me its I little big I use a 5/16 tube with a bottle filler, but I use a bottling bucket also(I have not tried to bottle straight out of the FF yet). The bottling bucket also helps on brew day I can stick the FF in the bucket and it holds the FF up so I can fill it. It also makes it easier to carry the FF to were my mount is at, just leave it in the bucket and lift it onto the mounts. As far as a hydrometer a lot of people on here swear by them I have one but hardly use it I just leave mine alone for three weeks then bottle. Never had a problem doing it that way. I use a fridge thermometer and sit it in the room with my FF and keep the room around 60-65. I think you will like the FF. I have like mine so far.

Thanks for the replies.

As far as price, it didn't seem that bad at the time. I was going to drop $40 on a glass carboy, then all the small things like a bung, airlock, siphon, another bucket to rack to, etc and I figured I'd get close to $100 for all the equipment anyways. So $99 for a complete unit that offered the potential for better results seemed like a good choice to me.

As far as mounting it, you are correct I intended to mount it to a wall. If I decide I don't like it on the wall, I can always purchase the mount later or make my own. I do like your idea of using a bucket as a cradle of sorts. I will take the comment about temperature into consideration. I knew temperature would be an issue, but having never done it I can only assume on how it will all react relative to where I am going to store it, how much heat the yeast produces, etc. and I figured I would address those issues as they became apparent.

As far as the other pieces of equipment, does it sound like I will have everything I need with what I described? My biggest fear right now is that I will get 2/3 through the brewing process or pour the first bottle and find out I missed something.

Be sure to plan ahead - normally we use gravity to siphon or drain from the boil kettle to the fermenter.

I'm not sure what you will want to do to transfer in this setup.

Sounds like you have everything planned. Is there a homebrew store close to you? You can make a list of all equipment you are going to need and head to the store. Before you brew set everything out that you are going to use so you wont forget anything. Don't forget sanitizer from the brew store. A 6 or 7 gal bottling bucket also comes in handy to fill with sanitizer to soak everything in. Buy your capper and buy a lot of caps, they do not cost much so have plenty. One time I got everything ready to bottle and remembered I only had enough caps to do about a half batch. I had to drive an hour to the brew store so I could finish. Remember a 5 gal batch will get you about 48-52 12oz bottles so have enough bottles. Get a manual can opener to open your LME make sure you throw it into the sanitizer with everything else. My only other info on doing the extracts is to read the directions and follow them, especially your first time. I usually pour into the fermenter from the pot but a siphon is a good thing to have as mentioned above. I cant think of anything else but I am sure I have probably forgot something, maybe someone else can help out.

I knew temperature would be an issue, but having never done it I can only assume on how it will all react relative to where I am going to store it, how much heat the yeast produces, etc. and I figured I would address those issues as they became apparent.

Since fermentation temperature is possibly the biggest variable affecting quality that we deal with, I hope this doesn't become a problem for you. The great thing about the humble bucket or carboy is that it's portable. You can just pick it up and move it to a space where the temp is what you need. Your FF is going to be stuck somewhere where you've never fermented beer before, and could end up being a pain to reinstall or whatever.

Also, if you've purchased no other vessels at all, you'll be stuck at one temperature. No warming to rouse yeast, no cold crash, not even the option to do a secondary (which is NOT anathema despite everything you read on here about it). Finally, the FF is not transparent so as a newbie, you can't see the processes that you're putting in play. It really helps to learn what fermentation looks like, and you can only do that by watching it.

What's the ambient temp in the space where the FF is going to be?

There is a brew shop near me, however, it's in a bad neighborhood and one I'd like to avoid if possible. It is there if an emergency arises. I've been told there is a brew mega store of sorts about an hour from where I work, but I already commute an hour to work and it's in the opposite direction. I'm sure there are more, I just need to look for them.

As for location I am planning on temporarily using it in my guest bathroom until I can work out exact details about temperature controlling it in it's permanent location in my garage. The bathroom is obviously conditioned but the garage is not. Heating won't be an issue, but cooling will be. For that I'm thinking I might purchase a small fridge off CL and modify it or make a box to keep it cool enough. Like I said, it will be in the house for the first few batches so I can more closely monitor it. That's the plan at least - not sure if it's a good one or not.

I didn't realize being able to see the detail of fermentation was as important as you say it is. I did like the idea of trying mead and/or hard cider down the line. Do you think it would be beneficial to do a single vessel mead or cider recipe in a clear gallon jug first? Or should I not divide my attention and muddle my way through the beer without knowing what the fermentation looks like?

I didn't realize being able to see the detail of fermentation was as important

Most folks start off with white plastic buckets, and many folks never change to clear fermenters and make great beer. You can unscrew the lid on your setup and peek in as easily as opening a bucket lid. Minimum worry.

Having said that - there is nothing like watching a brew storm :) I highly recommend it if you know someone that ferments in glass or clear plastic.

I don't mean that seeing fermentation is important to making good beer. It's important to learning what's happening in the fermenter when it's all new to you (i.e. Now). It's not always enough to just see the surface of the liquid.

But no matter... Carboys are cheap enough. I don't like the big 5 and 6 gallon glass ones - scary heavy - but I like using 3 gallon glass and 5-6 gallon plastic.

The key to it all is to learn something with each brew and refine your system til it's efficient and predictable. Then you can focus less on the gear, and more on the product. Gear is cool, don't get me wrong, but I'm ultimately more interested in the beer! Good luck. And don't underestimate the importance of fermentation temp when people tell you about it! It's really true.

Controlling your fermentation temperature is probably the single most important thing you can do toward making a good consistent beer that is true to the recipe and the intended style you're brewing.

Prior to buying the FF, I fermented in a carboy inside a plastic tote with water in it. aka; swamp cooler. When I bought the FF, I knew a swamp cooler would not be doable so I decided to build a fermentation chamber. You don't have to have a chamber to ferment a good beer but you need a room or area that has a consistent temperature that is in the range of the yeast you are using.

Here is a Caramel Amber Ale that is ready for kegging/bottling. And I will be reusing that beautiful yeast for another batch.

Cheers!

Caramel Ale in FF.jpg

jbb3, your chamber topic was actually the last topic I read that tipped me in favor of the FF when I was looking up reviews and threads about it. I knew cooling it would be the biggest issue in my garage and your topic gave me the confidence that I could do something similar if I needed to.

I know this is off topic, now that you've seen yours in action, I'm curious what you think. Do you think if a mini wine cooler were used (the type that only get down around 60°) and the chamber was smaller (big enough for only one fermentation chamber) do you think it would work effectively for keeping it cool?

jbb3, your chamber topic was actually the last topic I read that tipped me in favor of the FF when I was looking up reviews and threads about it. I knew cooling it would be the biggest issue in my garage and your topic gave me the confidence that I could do something similar if I needed to.

I know this is off topic, now that you've seen yours in action, I'm curious what you think. Do you think if a mini wine cooler were used (the type that only get down around 60°) and the chamber was smaller (big enough for only one fermentation chamber) do you think it would work effectively for keeping it cool?

Well thank you. It makes me think the effort was wort it. :)

As it happens, since completing the build the weather had been cool to down right cold. So the controller hasn't even turned on the cooling part for the chamber yet. But it has maintained an internal temperature in the mid sixties when the external temperature was in the single digits. I couldn't be more pleased with how it has performed and I don't expect anything to change when the weather does.

If you build a smaller version with a wine cooler for your chiller, you're not going to have as much temperature range on the low end but I think it will still maintain a temperature in the sixties. You should probably place some jugs of water in the cooler to absorb and give back energy to help keep things cool. But I plan to do that also when the weather turns warm. Use as much foam insulation as you can and don't forget to duct tape all the joints for an air seal.

Welcome to the FF club! And let me know when you join the fermentation chamber club! ;)

Cheers!

:mug:

lstewartff, I’m looking into purchasing FF and you touched on something I was wondering about. You said “I can stick the FF in the bucket and it holds the FF up so I can fill it.” I was glad to hear that because I was hoping you could do that and save the money on buying the metal stand.
So now the question I have is, does it fit in the bucket with the collection ball attached? Or do you lift the FF onto the mounts and then install the collection ball?
Also do you bottle straight from the FF? I read somewhere that doing that you still get some trub in the bottles. Since you’ve indicating you are satisfied with your FF I would love to hear from you on how you use it from getting beer into it, how often you drained the collection balls and bottling processes.

I have 6 gal buckets and the FF fits in it without the ball. I think it might fit in a 7 gal with the ball on it but i just connect the ball after its on the mount. I carry mine in the bucket to my mount, i have tried to carry out of the bucket and its just easier in the bucket. When bottling i always use a bottling bucket just seems easier to add the primming suger that way. As far as the ball i have left it on the whole time but i said to myself that i would change it a few days before bottling. This last time i changed it after a week before and it turned out pretty good. You might want to read some of the other post about the lid and gasket. I havent done anything to mine but i noticed it takes about 24 hours to start bubbling and will only have activity for about a day. I dont know if that has to do with the lid or not but i might try to seal it better before my next brew. I hope that helped out. If you need anything else i will try to out.

I'm in the same boat as you. I have never made a batch of beer in my life, but some how I'm already neck deep in this ha Started off building a keezer because I wanted beer on tap, coming from never having bottled a single beer in my life. And now I'm buying all this equipment to brew beer. Luckily I've been able to witness first hand (and help where I could) a few other people brewing, mostly all grain brews. Gotta start somewhere right? I decided that the FF would be a cool way to start. Its funny the swing in comments I've heard on this thing. Some bad, most good. If I had the money I would have bought a SS Conical, but jesus the cheapest one is almost 3x the amount of the FF. I don't think I'll give up on brewing, seeing as half my friends are throwing money my direction to buy better gear and be apart of it. Let me know it does controlling the temp on yours. I'm thinking of buying the thermometer for the FF, or maybe another temp prob. Good luck either way :)

Side note, FF came out with new gaskets for the lid. People were having problems with it not fully sealing. Check yours before you brew, make sure it seals. If anything use teflon tape on the threads wherever you can.
A new 2 pack of 3mm Rubber Gaskets for the lid
I may buy a set...

This thread was he first I heard if the FF. I'm new to brewing too, but I found the idea fascinating and just ordered one. Northern Brewers has a 24 hour 20 % off any single item sale, so brings the cost down to $80 for anyone looking to get one .....

Northern Brewers has a 24 hour 20 % off any single item sale, so brings the cost down to $80 for anyone looking to get one .....

Yep ends tonight. I jumped on that like crazy. I lucked out because I needed a new pot and burner as well. Seeing as they didn't fall under their flat shipping costs I bought them separate and just used the coupon for each big item purchased. In total I spent almost $400 lol

Just bought one, been Jonesing for awhile. $91.xx shipped to NY. Discount code for 20% off is CRAFTBREW

Back