Too warm to age and oak a RIS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBrewinator

Reaction score
I have a RIS I am almost ready to rack onto oak cubes. My basement is between 75-80 right now and barring another heat wave, should stay at that temperature and slowly start to drop down to the mid 50s as winter comes.

I have the option to take it to a family members house to age in a basement that maintains around 65 degrees.

Would I be ok to oak and bulk age it in the mid to upper 70s until my basement gets cooler or should I take it to my family members house until my basement gets to better temperatures? Thanks.

You can definitely age in your basement. The higher temps won't do much to an RIS if you ask me. Also the higher temps makes oak extraction a little faster. I did an RIS last fall and left it go all winter and spring. I bottled it early summer and it had gotten up in temp a few times. With the exception of zero carbonation right now, it tastes great. I need to get a tube of 099 and get it nice and active. Pop all the caps and pipette in a bit of yeast in to each bottle.

Back