too soon to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radler

Reaction score
So a very anticipated beer has been in Primary (1 week), secondary (2.5 weeks) and I would love to botle no cause I'll be leaving soon for 4 weeks. Problem is I didn't check gravities for numerous reasons. My guess is that it's gotta be okay, it should have been 1.059 OG so it wasn't anything super strong, but... there are still small patches of bubbles on surface of fermentor, small but they are there. Short of gravity check which I prefer not to do, what else can help determine if it's safe to bottle? Thanks.

Radler said:
So a very anticipated beer has been in Primary (1 week), secondary (2.5 weeks) and I would love to botle no cause I'll be leaving soon for 4 weeks. Problem is I didn't check gravities for numerous reasons. My guess is that it's gotta be okay, it should have been 1.059 OG so it wasn't anything super strong, but... there are still small patches of bubbles on surface of fermentor, small but they are there. Short of gravity check which I prefer not to do, what else can help determine if it's safe to bottle? Thanks.

The only way to truly know if fermentation is complete IS to check the SG. Check it for a few days in a row. If it's stable over those days, then it's done. If it's still dropping, you need to hold off unless you like bottle bombs and messes.

bikebryan said:
The only way to truly know if fermentation is complete IS to check the SG. Check it for a few days in a row. If it's stable over those days, then it's done. If it's still dropping, you need to hold off unless you like bottle bombs and messes.

Given that the only way to know for certain is to check the SG...and assuming for the moment that for some unknown reason you just can't check the SG, doesn't it seem like three and a half weeks are probably enough?

El Pistolero said:
Given that the only way to know for certain is to check the SG...and assuming for the moment that for some unknown reason you just can't check the SG, doesn't it seem like three and a half weeks are probably enough?

Assuming this is an ale, I would say you are okay to bottle. I agree, taking an SG is foolproof. But one week in the primary and 2 to 2-3 weeks in the secondary is typical of just about every ale I've made, except for some high gravity brews. And I'm really lazy when it comes to taking SG's after my beer hits the secondary. But I've never had any granades (knock on wood) in my seven years of brewing. Not that I'm any expert! I'm just sayin'...

If I were in your shoes, I'd have no problem bottling now.

Back