Quantcast

too soon to bottle?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Radler

Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2005
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
So a very anticipated beer has been in Primary (1 week), secondary (2.5 weeks) and I would love to botle no cause I'll be leaving soon for 4 weeks. Problem is I didn't check gravities for numerous reasons. My guess is that it's gotta be okay, it should have been 1.059 OG so it wasn't anything super strong, but... there are still small patches of bubbles on surface of fermentor, small but they are there. Short of gravity check which I prefer not to do, what else can help determine if it's safe to bottle? Thanks.
 

bikebryan

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2005
Messages
556
Reaction score
4
Location
Alexandria, VA
Radler said:
So a very anticipated beer has been in Primary (1 week), secondary (2.5 weeks) and I would love to botle no cause I'll be leaving soon for 4 weeks. Problem is I didn't check gravities for numerous reasons. My guess is that it's gotta be okay, it should have been 1.059 OG so it wasn't anything super strong, but... there are still small patches of bubbles on surface of fermentor, small but they are there. Short of gravity check which I prefer not to do, what else can help determine if it's safe to bottle? Thanks.
The only way to truly know if fermentation is complete IS to check the SG. Check it for a few days in a row. If it's stable over those days, then it's done. If it's still dropping, you need to hold off unless you like bottle bombs and messes.
 

El Pistolero

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 29, 2005
Messages
3,584
Reaction score
16
Location
Houston
bikebryan said:
The only way to truly know if fermentation is complete IS to check the SG. Check it for a few days in a row. If it's stable over those days, then it's done. If it's still dropping, you need to hold off unless you like bottle bombs and messes.
Given that the only way to know for certain is to check the SG...and assuming for the moment that for some unknown reason you just can't check the SG, doesn't it seem like three and a half weeks are probably enough?
 

Rhoobarb

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
3,553
Reaction score
20
Location
Gainesville
El Pistolero said:
Given that the only way to know for certain is to check the SG...and assuming for the moment that for some unknown reason you just can't check the SG, doesn't it seem like three and a half weeks are probably enough?
Assuming this is an ale, I would say you are okay to bottle. I agree, taking an SG is foolproof. But one week in the primary and 2 to 2-3 weeks in the secondary is typical of just about every ale I've made, except for some high gravity brews. And I'm really lazy when it comes to taking SG's after my beer hits the secondary. But I've never had any granades (knock on wood) in my seven years of brewing. Not that I'm any expert! I'm just sayin'...

If I were in your shoes, I'd have no problem bottling now.
 
Top