Too much yeast, or no?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirPublius

Reaction score
I bought three different yeasts to try on some pear cider. Two of them were in English and said that they made 5 gallons, so since I was making 1 gallon batches I simply divided them into 5, which I think was a 1/4 teaspoon or so. The OTHER yeast was a Nottingham ale yeast, it wasn't all in English, and it didn't have yield information like the other packets. I thought the store I bought it from told me it was ALSO for a 5 gallon batch, but it was TWICE as big as the others, so for that one I actually put in TWICE the yeast, which was 1 teaspoon rather than 1/2 a teaspoon like the others. What happens if I put too much yeast in? Can you put too much yeast in? Better more than less? What's the skinny on that? Thanks.

You're fine. The smaller packs (Munton's maybe?) can sometimes do the job, but most folks like the 11g Fermentis/Safale packets.

The key with Nottingham is to keep it well below 68*F (beer temp) while fermenting. It has a cooler temp range than most ale yeasts.

The key with Nottingham is to keep it well below 68*F (beer temp) while fermenting. It has a cooler temp range than most ale yeasts.

Ohhhh, that shouldn't be a problem. My house was built in 1848 and its mid-November...Thanks.

Back