Too much Sugar.?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heartofglass

Reaction score
Well lets just say I jumped into the kettle before I quite understood anything about making beer.
Now that I've become fairly good friends with my 5 gals of wort thats going on 4 weeks- Im thinking back and wondering why my brew partner and I did what we did- Aside from scorching the malt and pitching the yeast too soon, while we were cooking the malt my buddy (ill blame him) added over a pound of cane sugar.
Perhaps Im not seeing the recipe we were attempting but to continue Later that day I saw that the fermenter was not bubbling. I called my friend and told him and he said to throw in some more sugar. So I added a cup of white sugar into the fermentor.

Im curious what all this added sugar means and if perhaps theres a way to determine if this brew is still viable or fit for human consumption. I dont like kool aid beer but perhaps the sugar in it has nothing to do with the sweetness and everything to do with alcohol content.

Much Obliged
Hog

The sugar should ferment out, so you're not going to have sweet beer. What it will do is give you higher alcohol and less body. Without knowing the recipe I couldn't tell you how the beer will be, but throwing in a bunch of sugar for no reason usually doesn't improve things.

Saison Yeast, Malt extract and Hopped with a little lime and orange zest and a dash of corriander. I guess Hoeggarden inspired?

So lets say we take a abv reading and it says our alcohol content is high, is there away to remedy that? Seems a silly question but again thanks for your knowhow.
Hog

Hopped with lime and orange zest? You actually hopped it, right? Or was the malt extract pre-hopped?

On the plus side, a saison is supposed to be light bodied and dry, so the sugar works with that. And a modern american-style saison is fairly high in alcohol.

Yeah Hopped and zested- well thats hopeful news. In the next few days we'll be bottling at which point we add sugar to carb the beer. I'll read up on that.
thanks
Hog

Back