Too much shade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Hallertau and Cascade grow just fine in the shade, but only produce a couple ounces dried each per season, not pounds. They just produce a lot less.
Everything I read about cascade says it grows in all conditions. Getting only a couple of ounces would be okay; sounds like not a lot of work.
Which hallertau?

Last edited:
Hops aren't much work at all. They grow like weeds, stronger and farther every season.

Hallertau Zweiflussener
I know. When I grew hops in Vancouver there was no difference in crop size the years I got lazy with weeding.
I've never heard of zweiflussener, where did you get them? What do they bring to the brew?

I know. When I grew hops in Vancouver there was no difference in crop size the years I got lazy with weeding.
I've never heard of zweiflussener, where did you get them? What do they bring to the brew?

Zweiflussener is my play on words, meaning from Two Rivers (WI) where I live. ;)

Seriously, I don't think it matters where they are from. I planted them in 2006 and I don't recall which company I got the rhizome from but IIRC they were advertised simply as "Hallertau" which makes sense to me, as the terrior component should indeed be Zweiflussener.

Zweiflussener is my play on words, meaning from Two Rivers (WI) where I live. ;)

Seriously, I don't think it matters where they are from. I planted them in 2006 and I don't recall which company I got the rhizome from but IIRC they were advertised simply as "Hallertau" which makes sense to me, as the terrior component should indeed be Zweiflussener.
There are three rivers here. Would that be Dreiflussener?

Not sure if this helps. But I grow on a sunny hill which can get very hot. Seems with climate change and people cutting shade trees around me it gets worse little by little. They can get fried if not watered a lot by me. I tried US Goldings, Cashmere with no success, they died. Northern brewer hardly grows. Sterling grows but I get little bit of hops. If I tried growing those again I'd plant them in a spot that gets more shade. But I think it's hit or miss.

My Hallertau and Cascade grow just fine in the shade, but only produce a couple ounces dried each per season, not pounds. They just produce a lot less.

My hallertau is in full sun and I don't think I've ever collected more than 4-6oz from that plant. I doubt it's a sun/shade problem. Hallertau just doesn't yield that much.

Latest posts

Back