Too much priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewWestBrewer

Reaction score
Hi All,

A buddy and I had probably one too many while brewing and thinking we had 3 gallons put in 3 oz of priming sugar into our bottling bucket. Well it turns out we only had 2 gallons to bottle. Are we looking at bombs or should we be safe. Was an IPA. They have only been bottled a day so far. Any suggestions would help.

Thanks

Probably just overcarbed...keep the boxed beers in a bathtub though (or at least off rugs) for next week in case of bombs. Better to be safe,

I had the same problem recently and I solved it by letting the gas out on the 2nd, 4th and 7th days of carbing.

Assuming you were bottling at 20C, http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html shows that you're around 3.5 vol Co2. Just entering the risk zone.

Just slightly lift off the cap with a bottle opener and let the extra gas out. Then clamp the cap tight with your capper. Alternatively, once you let the gas out and the foam settles down, give the bottle a wee shake and lift the cap again to let even more gas out.

Better safe than sorry imho.

The temperature relative to residual CO2 factoring into the total volume is the highest temp the beer achieved, which may or may not be the temp at bottling.

Case in point, if you cold crash the beer then bottle it cold, the cold crash temp isn't the one you'd use to calculate priming amount for CO2 volume. If you do, the calculation will assume too much residual CO2 and you will end up priming short and have flat or weakly carbonated beer.

I'd say you're likely fine, although perhaps a bit overcarbed. In a few days time pop one open. If you get a gusher then you can either put them all in the fridge or open them all up to relieve pressure then recap them. That much sugar per volume is by no means a drastic error and I'd be surprised if you got bottle bombs.

I'd say you're likely fine, although perhaps a bit overcarbed. In a few days time pop one open. If you get a gusher then you can either put them all in the fridge or open them all up to relieve pressure then recap them. That much sugar per volume is by no means a drastic error and I'd be surprised if you got bottle bombs.

^this. I did what you did once, only I was priming for 5 gallons and ended up with 4. It was an over-carbed IB(brown)A, It forced me to let the beer sit in the glass while the head died down which also allowed the beer to warm up, and it was much better warm. Ever since then, I rack before measuring my priming sugar, then I add it and give the beer a gentle "upwardish" stir to make sure it's mixed in.

I had the same problem recently and I solved it by letting the gas out on the 2nd, 4th and 7th days of carbing.

Assuming you were bottling at 20C, http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html shows that you're around 3.5 vol Co2. Just entering the risk zone.

Just slightly lift off the cap with a bottle opener and let the extra gas out. Then clamp the cap tight with your capper. Alternatively, once you let the gas out and the foam settles down, give the bottle a wee shake and lift the cap again to let even more gas out.

Better safe than sorry imho.

I've noticed that you can slightly lift the caps a few times and wonder why no one has suggested this. I haven't had any overcarbing issues since I noticed it, so I haven't tried it myself, but I was going to the next time it happens.

Apologies for incorrect temp advice!

Re lifting the caps, in theory there is a slight risk of infection but I had no problems with my batch. You can spray the opener and the caps with star san if you're paranoid.

Latest posts

Back