Too much potassium metabisulfite ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonianBrewer

Reaction score
Like a retard I added about 1/4 tsp of Potassium Metabisulfite per gallon! Not for every 6 gallons . Wtf can I do to remedy this , how long should I wait before I pitch yeast ? I have heard stirring them a few times a day over the next few days might help, can I shake them to help evaporation or will that oxidize the cider to much ? Help!!!

I followed the instructions on my bottle which said 1/8 tsp per gallon equals approx 100 ppm free SO2. I had a sluggish start, but eventually took off. Your dose appears to be double mine. I would wait a few days before you pitch and see if you get any activity. I also added nutrient and energizer as well. I noticed that the S04 took off faster than the Nottingham. The basement reeked of sulfur for a few days, hopefully yours is salvageable too.

Stir, stir, stir, stir, and keep the cover off (just cover with a towel to keep out fruitflies and the like). Stir whenever you can, as much as you can. I have a wine degasser, that hooks up to my drill. I'd probably use that. Keep stirring so that the s02 dissipates as much as possible.

Then, I'd probably take out some of the cider and dilute it with sugar water and start the yeast in there. Every so often add more and more cider diluted with water. As the yeast starter keeps going, add more cider and less water until you're adding the straight cider and not halting fermentation activity. Then, combine that big active yeast starter in your cider.

This process could take several days.

The starter with the cider could potentially kill my starter . could take several more days to get another starter cultivated

Thank you for the advise tried pitching East three days ago nothing happened I think I will just keep stirring for a few more days well I get an enormous starter cultivated and hopefully that will kickstart

You just saved me yooper once again!

I've added 1/8th k-meta for 1 gallon and closed it tight...I was worried about killing the bacteria that I forgot it releases gas! 12 hours later I pitched in the yeast and it just all falls down lol

Melomel Mead - Blackberry mhmm

Latest posts

Back