Too much oxygenation on my procedure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shwagger

Reaction score
I pump coooled wort through plate chillers into a covered bucket, then pour it through a funnel with a mesh screen into my conical. Wait overnight, Aerate with o2, and pitch.

Should I bother with the o2?

No need to wait to pitch unless the plate chiller isn’t doing the job...the actual pouring should give you enough oxygen for the yeast to be happy.

I’ve been pouring my wort from kettle to fermentor for five years and never had a problem/issue ::knocks on wood: with fermentation getting started.

I wait so I can dump trub. It collects in the bottom of the conical overnight. It's a common tactic. This is even with using a spider and whirlpool

I've been thinking the o2 was overkill to be honest. There's quite a bit of air being introduced going through that mesh filter.

you cannot over-aerate with air, but you certainly can with O2.
O2 is nice if you have large quantities or would like to bubble within a short time. if time is not the issue, which it doesn't seem to be for you, I wouldn't bother keeping a tank of O2.
does your procedure dissolve enough O2 in the wort - I don't know.
but if not, you can blow air (filter and aquarium pump) in any time (just might much take longer, but no risk) if you feel you need another burst before pitching or for the next generation of cells during early fermentation

I go directly from my plate chiller into my conical. I use in-line oxygenation for the brews and yeasts that need it. While I see your point in removing the cold-break, a conical reduces the ill-effects of having it in the fermenter. In addition, the cold break helps fill the cone so that my final yeast and trub level is higher and I can get almost all the beer out with the rotating racking port.

I go directly from my plate chiller into my conical. I use in-line oxygenation for the brews and yeasts that need it. While I see your point in removing the cold-break, a conical reduces the ill-effects of having it in the fermenter. In addition, the cold break helps fill the cone so that my final yeast and trub level is higher and I can get almost all the beer out with the rotating racking port.
I've actually considered connecting the tubing directly to the sample spigot on the conical and pumping the wort through that from the chillers, just for the fun of it. I think my wort pump could overcome that lol.

I don't get a lot of trub with my beer other than yeast, but it's a thing I'm picky about. I like really clear beer. This is just one extra step

I've actually considered connecting the tubing directly to the sample spigot on the conical and pumping the wort through that from the chillers, just for the fun of it.

I used to pump into the top of the fermenter, but finally realized that I could just pump through the racking port. It has the proper sized barb that fits my transfer hose. The racking port works well for both in and out flows...it turns out!

Back