Too much kreusen popped airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RishoBrew

Reaction score
Greetings!

I brewed an extract Irish Stout using Charlie Papazian's Toad Spit Stout recipe except that my local store did not have particular LME/DME. So the store guru recommended 9 lb Breiss Dark LME in total so the complete recipe was like this:

9# Dark LME
3/4# Chrystal malt #80
1/3# Roasted barley
1/3# Black Patent

1.5 oz. N. Brewer hops
1/2 oz. Willamette hops
8 tsp gypsum

I steeped the grain for 45 minutes, boiled for 60 and my FG ended up around 1.070. I propagated my Wyeast Irish Ale using a 2L starter on stir plate. Used a 6-7 gal carboy that after adding the yeast the total yield was about 5.5 gallons - meaning plenty of air space left. This morning I've checked on it and the krausen had pushed the stopper with the airlock out and had a mess.

The question is now what? Is it ruined? After cleaning up, I've replaced the airlock with short hose that ends in quart jar with sanitizer solution. I use the coat closet for this, with coats hanging there as I really don't have a dedicated brew room, so not the cleanest place but it's behind closed door in a dark. What do you guys think? Thanks!!!

Probably not ruined, just let if ferment out using your new blowoff tube setup. With such a vigorous fermentation, oxygen is going to have a hard time getting in and the yeast will quickly consume the little bit that does.

Probably not ruined, just let if ferment out using your new blowoff tube setup. With such a vigorous fermentation, oxygen is going to have a hard time getting in and the yeast will quickly consume the little bit that does.

This is my sixth batch and I've not had this much Kreusen before. I set up a blow off tube with my very first batch as one particular video suggested but there was always ample space in the carboy. Much thanks!

Latest posts

Back