Too much hops or what??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finchy

Reaction score
I just made a "Beach Party Blonde Ale - all grain from a recipe found on BeerSmith. My LHBS did not have all the ingredients so i had to supplement. My taste test prior to pitching yeast was surprisingly odd. Taking a sip, there was an immediate sharp bitter taste on my tongue but after swallowing, it cleared quickly and left no bitter tastes at all. The bitter is not very enjoyable. I'm wondering if i did something wrong or it will just be that bitter. Also, will some of the bitter mellow out through fermentation? I'm new to the all grain process and still a bit "green" as far as brewing goes, so i could use any help i can get. Below is my ingredients and process. THANKS!!!

9lb 2-row pale
.75 lb Caramel 10L
.25 carapils/dextrin
1 oz Northern Brewer 60 min
1sp Irish Moss 15 min
1 oz Cascade 10 min
starter of American Ale yeast

mashed 3.5 gallons for 60 min at 155 F.
sparged (with sparge arm) at 178 F until i had 7 gallons in kettle
added hops per schedule above.
SG pre boil was 1.042
SG after boil was 1.050

THANKS!!

I just made a "Beach Party Blonde Ale - all grain from a recipe found on BeerSmith. My LHBS did not have all the ingredients so i had to supplement. My taste test prior to pitching yeast was surprisingly odd. Taking a sip, there was an immediate sharp bitter taste on my tongue but after swallowing, it cleared quickly and left no bitter tastes at all. The bitter is not very enjoyable. I'm wondering if i did something wrong or it will just be that bitter. Also, will some of the bitter mellow out through fermentation? I'm new to the all grain process and still a bit "green" as far as brewing goes, so i could use any help i can get. Below is my ingredients and process. THANKS!!!

9lb 2-row pale
.75 lb Caramel 10L
.25 carapils/dextrin
1sp Irish Moss 15 min
1 oz Cascade 10 min

SG pre boil was 1.042
SG after boil was 1.050

THANKS!!

well Mr. "Green"... your beer is probably green as well... see how the beer tastes before bottling or going to a secondary (which you prob dont need to do). way to early to tell!

9lb 2-row pale
.75 lb Caramel 10L
.25 carapils/dextrin
1sp Irish Moss 15 min
1 oz Cascade 10 min

SG pre boil was 1.042
SG after boil was 1.050

THANKS!!

IMO beer always tastes more bitter going into the fermenter than it does when it's finished.

Do you know the AA% of the hops used? A few points of AA% at 60 minutes can make a huge difference.

"My taste test prior to pitching yeast was surprisingly odd.
Also, will some of the bitter mellow out through fermentation?"

Before and after fermentation tastes are wildly different.
Let it ride out it's fermentation. Even after fermentation but before Carbing will taste different to the final carbed product.

Recipe sounds pretty balanced to me.

You just need time for things to come together.

Thanks so much for the QUICK reply's! I was just nervous because my wife and i both were like "UUUUGGGG" i hope that mellows out! Time will tell i guess...

Thanks so much for the QUICK reply's! I was just nervous because my wife and i both were like "UUUUGGGG" i hope that mellows out! Time will tell i guess...

It's good to taste it before and after so you get an idea for how the beer will change. After a while you'll know more of what to expect from the pre fermentation tastes.

if anything you didn't add enough hops...haha
let it ride buddy In my last batch i had a total of 10oz of hops in a 10 gallon batch and when i tried before fermen. it was pretty harsh. when it went to secondary alot better and by the time it made it to bottle it was amazing.
as said before to early to tell.

Latest posts

Back