Too much hop sediment . Rebottle ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSkid

Reaction score
I brewed a Barleywine back in December, 2 weeks primary, 11 weeks secondary, with the last 7 days dry hopped. At bottling, I got to much hop sediment in my bottling bucket. But I bottled anyway because the priming solution was already in the bucket.

It's been in the bottle 5 days now and there's alot of hoip sediment on the bottom of the bottle. What to do ?

1) Just leave it ? Or will the hop sediment lead to off flavours ?

2) Rebottle? Carefully decant the beer in bottling bucket and rebottle? I'm not concerned about repriming because it's only been in the bottle 5 days and it's a Barleywine. But oxidation would be my concern with rebottling.

Either way would probably reduce the shelf life of this beer. I really wanted to be able to open a bottle of this beer in the years to come. Oh well, next time I'll have to be more careful.

Thanx.

just leave it, after beer is in the bottle, the brewer is out of play. it will be fine but have less shelf live. no problem just drink it in the year that come's

Thanks for your replies. I'll just leave as it is.
It's just too bad, that is a result of a little bit of carelessness.

Oh well.
Surf till ya hurl !

Just out of curiosity how much hop sediment did you end up with in your bottles? I ask because u had a similar issue with an IPA that I dry hopped (0.8oz/gal), and then had some siphoning issues when racking to the bottling bucket. I left it and I now have what appears to be about a normal amount of sediment in the bottle but the beer is more cloudy than I'd prefer. It's been in bottles for one month two days. Taste great though!

4 of the bottles have 1 to 2 cm. I put those to the side and will drink those first. The rest have about a 1/2 to 1 cm .
I did add a little dry yeast at bottling time, so some sediment is yeast but the majority ist hop sludge . Top bad because this beer was so damn clear before dry hopping.

Latest posts

Back