Too much headspace

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkuhl

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello

One of my meads is a caramel apple bochet, about two weeks into fermentation. Today I took the time to remove the bag with the apples and decided to rack it out of the large big mouth bubbler (from Northern Brewer, about 1.4 gallons) to a regular 1 gallon carboy (without the fruit, it's slightly less than a gallon of liquid.

Problem is, I realized belatedly after transfering the liquid, the bung I have doesn't fit the carboy. So I was forced to put it into a spare big mouth bubbler I had (not the same one, another cleaned and sanitzed one.)

It's only about a bit more than half full.

I don't think the bochet is finished fermentation, I was mostly just interested in removing the apples. Should I worry about the headspace? Like go down to the brew shop on monday and look for bungs? Or should it be fine to finish in its current carboy?

Hello

One of my meads is a caramel apple bochet, about two weeks into fermentation. Today I took the time to remove the bag with the apples and decided to rack it out of the large big mouth bubbler (from Northern Brewer, about 1.4 gallons) to a regular 1 gallon carboy (without the fruit, it's slightly less than a gallon of liquid.

Problem is, I realized belatedly after transfering the liquid, the bung I have doesn't fit the carboy. So I was forced to put it into a spare big mouth bubbler I had (not the same one, another cleaned and sanitzed one.)

It's only about a bit more than half full.

I don't think the bochet is finished fermentation, I was mostly just interested in removing the apples. Should I worry about the headspace? Like go down to the brew shop on monday and look for bungs? Or should it be fine to finish in its current carboy?
Are you getting good action in your airlock? Lots of burps? If so, maybe any damage, probably minor or undetectable, is already done, and the BMB has been purged by the yeast, and opening back up would be a step backward. If it isn't bubbling frequently, maybe you could just give it a nice shot of CO2 and purge the air in the BMB that way.

I think I would have improvised a bung to fit, myself.

Back