too much headspace

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tx-brewer

Reaction score
Is this too much headspace for a week of secondary?

ForumRunner_20121228_144221.png

Thanks, I thought it would be ok but its my first brew and I don't wanna screw it up

That beer looks kind of dark from here. Did it stop fermenting and drop out good before racking it? There is nothing wrong with secondary, but you should get a good primary only batch under your belt first so that you know how to avoid racking early.;)

It has lightened up a little since I put it in initially, pretty sure it was done fermenting, no activity in airlock on day 6 or 7 and gravity was at what instructions said fg should be. I would have preferred to leave out secondary step first time around, but I am following instructions to step by step

I was a little confused by the color, its a live oak hefe clone kit from Austinhomebrew.com seems too dark for a hefe, but taste seems right so idk if its anything to get too worried about, I don't care about looks if it tastes good

light extracts will darken if you boil the LME for the whole 60 minutes. You can add the majority of your extract anywhere from last 15 minutes to flame out for better results. Look up late extract additions.

It can, its easy to scorch the LME a little. Thats why they recommend taking it off the heat before adding LME and stiring the hell out of it.

I did take it off the heat, and I doubt it burned at all, my buddy was afraid it would so he was stirring it almost constantly for first ten minutes or more of boil.

Thanks a ton for all the help, Im very new to brewing and very excited. There is just so much info to sift through that it can be overwhelming and its very nice to have friendly helpful people give me some help for my specific questions

Just remember the most important thing and everything will be great. RDWHAHB or craft brew if no HB available.

Back