Too much grain, not enough MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imtrashed

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK, I realize I have a problem and need a little help. Glad I realized this today and not this Saturday, when I brew.

Doing 10 gallons of wort using 20 lbs grain. Mashing in a 10 gal MLT. With 20 lbs of grain, I estimate that I might be able to fit max of 30 qts water(?). In any case, my original plan of stepping the mash from 122* to 148* and then mashing out at 170* won't work, since I'll have to use about 52qts (13 gallons) water, which obviously is not possible.

Should I just go with a 90 minute single step mash at 148/150? I probably won't be able to raise to 170 either. Unless I mash at 1 qt / lb... then maybe I can just about raise to 168/170 with some boiling water. Would be pushing it though.

Thoughts? HELP! The recipe is below. Will I not get the extraction I'm shooting for without the protein rest? Am I worrying too much?

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 12.68 gal
Post Boil Volume: 11.18 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 10.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 9.60 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 3.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 17.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.3 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 35.0 %
7 lbs Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 35.0 %
4 lbs Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 3 20.0 %
2 lbs Rice, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 4 10.0 %
1.00 oz Cluster [7.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 13.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Cluster [7.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 2.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 1.5 IBUs

My thoughts are that the step mash isn't necessary with today's well modified grains. Also, you could easily draw off your strike wort, then double batch sparge with 180 degree water. Your efficiency will be slightly less but only minutely so.

You could split your grain bill in half and do it twice. Collect the wort in one pot and boil. That is if you want to step mash. It will be a good long brew day. But you might be able to get away with just one step in a 30 qt cooler... It's going to be tight even at 1 qt/lb.

You could split your grain bill in half and do it twice. Collect the wort in one pot and boil. That is if you want to step mash. It will be a good long brew day. But you might be able to get away with just one step in a 30 qt cooler... It's going to be tight even at 1 qt/lb.

Thanks for the input. I've done a few 2-brew days before, but I'm looking to do something a little different. I didn't put the background here, but the idea is that I want to mash once and boil once, but create 3 different beers from 1 batch of grain (doing 2 lagers and a cream ale). Want to save the time and energy, if it can be done.

Back