Too much foam after aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ninoid

Reaction score
My Oatmeal Stout bottled before two months and turn great with enough foam.
Now is still great, taste same, but raises the foam after open any bottle (from fridge).

What could be the problem?

Sounds like you had continuing fermentation and your volumes of CO2 have increased.

Sound. But all other is same as before (taste is same, no more remains in bottles).

How much sugar did you bottle condition with (need temp of beer, volume packaged, type and amount of sugar to calculate)? Alternatively, you could have not reached terminal gravity, did you take readings multiple days apart?

I wouldn’t expect an increase in sediment in the bottom with continued fermentation. I would expect you to taste “carbonic bite” though from extra CO2.

I always had the same issue of aged beer being foamy, and assumed it was this.^

This is not case in my other batches.

It is carbonated with 3g of table sugar in any bottle, same as all my batches (near 20).

Beer is Oatmeal Stout.

This is not case in my other batches.

It is carbonated with 3g of table sugar in any bottle, same as all my batches (near 20).

Beer is Oatmeal Stout.

You didn’t provide all the info requested! Assuming your beer was at 68F and you packaged 12 oz of beer, you should have around 3 vol of CO2 which isn’t crazy high, but will result in your beer gradually foaming over when left at room temp. This isn’t gushing right?

This isn’t gushing right?

+1 i keg, but drank gushing beer for 2 days. f'd my liver for a month....(painful)

edit: i malt my own, which is what caused it for me...not sure how the malt quality control is in croatia, but could be fusarium if it's gushing...

You didn’t provide all the info requested! Assuming your beer was at 68F and you packaged 12 oz of beer, you should have around 3 vol of CO2 which isn’t crazy high, but will result in your beer gradually foaming over when left at room temp. This isn’t gushing right?

My bottles is 0.5L (17 oz) and it is in fridge.
I think that is not gushing because foamy become after a while and beer have same taste and smell.

I never before brew beer with oats. Maybe this is normal for Oatmeal Stout.

+1 i keg, but drank gushing beer for 2 days. f'd my liver for a month....(painful)

edit: i malt my own, which is what caused it for me...not sure how the malt quality control is in croatia, but could be fusarium if it's gushing...

Mycotoxicosis? That’s kinds nuts dude!

Mycotoxicosis? That’s kinds nuts dude!

? have you seen my posts? lol, just thought i'd share that moldy grain BAD....i treated my malting like beer, not worrying about anything making me sick...now i bleach scrub my tub between batches!

No worries though, i went from AST/ALT levels in the high 100's to low teen's in a month of proper eating habits, and yes it was hard to bend over to pick things up because of the pain in my liver....(sunflower seeds, flax seeds, rice bran, legumes, and a little bit of fruits and veggies)

edit: and as far as malting, if i got away with malting on a red bed of fusarium for 2 years with no trouble...it's safer then eating raw chicken....

Last edited:
My Oatmeal Stout bottled before two months and turn great with enough foam.
Now is still great, taste same, but raises the foam after open any bottle (from fridge).

What could be the problem?

Is this the only batch that does this or do you have other beers that get overcarbonated?

Is this the only batch that does this or do you have other beers that get overcarbonated?

This batch is not overcarbonated before.
Maybe simple some bottles is overcarbonated. Maybe overcarbonated after aging.

Today I measured FG of one bottle in the refrigerator standing for a month of beer whose foam was significantly amplified three weeks after bottling. The FG is practically the same as the day of bottling. By that I concluded that certainly no problems with overcarbonating, yeast that did not complete fermentation or some foreign bacteria.

Still, I can not find a reason why the foam increases considerably after one month or more.

I brew new Oatmeal Stout with twice flaked oats. It is very foamy.
I think that unmalted oats is foam booster.
In the future, I will put less carbonization sugar for beer with a higher amount of unmalted grains.

Use a bigger pitcher or do what the Slovaks do, pour three pitchers and by the time the first pitcher's wiped out, the foam settled in the other two and more beer can be added. It's probably difficult to do when beer is in bottles.

Bicycle Day is big in Switzerland, but, the grain was grown in Ukraine. Brewmaster, Al Hofmann made a batch of hi-octane wheat beer from Ukraine wheat at Sandoz Brewery and Chemicals, and the rest is history.

Back