Too much dry hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hjandersen

Reaction score
Until recently I was under the impression that dry hopping couldn't possible be overdone..

Then I brewed and all Galaxy APA and used 1.5oz/gallon (the galaxy smells amazing) per gallon in two dry hop additions (9 days and 5 days). I plan on bottling soon and took a hydrometer sample yesterday (FG reached). When I tasted this sample I was absolutely overwhelmed - the aroma was unbelievably (too much IMO) strong strong pineapple/fruit-punchy. I can live with that BUT something else stroke me when tasting the sample -> It was extremely bitter! And not just bitter in a hoppy way (harshly bitter..)

I know conventional wisdom says dry hopping adds no bitterness, but I simply can't believe that.. (I tasted the wort before dry hopping and it was some much less bitter)

Any clues on what has happened here?

Dry hopping does not add isomerized alpha acids. It can add tannins and other compounds that are perceived as bitter or astringent but do not contribute to the IBU calculations/measurements.

Is it possible your sample contained hop particles? Try another sample at bottling after cold crashing.

I suppose - at least it was really unclear (with a ever so slight greenish color).. could that account for some the harshness? Will that leave as hops go out of suspension?

1.5oz/gal is a lot of hops !

Yep! I've used 0.5oz before but with whole cones (and only had a very small effect) - I was trying to avoid repeating that.. I suppose I missed the part about pellets giving of significantly more than cones!

I know conventional wisdom says dry hopping adds no bitterness, but I simply can't believe that.. (I tasted the wort before dry hopping and it was some much less bitter)
I've had the same experience. I don't care whether dry hopping counts for IBUs or not, my taste buds (and not just mine) clearly said that dry hopping makes things taste bitter.

I suppose - at least it was really unclear (with a ever so slight greenish color).. could that account for some the harshness? Will that leave as hops go out of suspension?

Definitely. But you'll need to cold crash to get rid of them all.

Im on board with that you may have had hop pieces in your sample which if you go nibble on a pellet you'll find it'll tear your face off. I'd definetly cold crash as m3 suggests to get all those hops to settle out.

+1 on hop material being in the sample. I have experienced it many times when dry hopping my own pale ale. Just make sure you want to cold crash it right now. You will get different flavors and aromas when you dry hop at different temperatures. I generally split my total dry hop additions in half, do some at about 65 or so, and the other at around 35-40. If you don't want to cold crash just yet, give the beer a few days and the material will mostly fall to the bottom, then have a taste.

Also, with that much dry hops, sounds more like an IPA than a pale ale! Wow!

Back