Too Much Dry hop??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrispy92

Reaction score
Hey all, just curious im about to dry hop a double IPA I brewed, it's a small 1 Gallon batch, 8.5%ABV and 130IBU. I want to give it BIG aroma, but don't know if there is a limit to how much hop oil can be absorbed in such a small volume of beer (I am sure there is a saturation point). So how much hop pellets should I add.

I have been thinking of between 60-100grams (2-3oz) but don't want to waste the hops if they are not going to do anything. Also don't see a point in adding more if they will do nothing and end up losing some of the final product due to hop absorption.

Whats the verdict here??

3 to 4 in 5 gallons is a pretty solid dry hop load, I can't imagine 3 to 5 times that giving you much more.

Edit: this Pliny clone from Vinnie only calls for 3.75 in 6 gallons.

Ok so is there a saturation point? Does anyone have any general idea on at what point per given volume dry hops would stop infusing? Does it have to do with AA?

Im going to go do a bit of reading and see what I can dig up.... Just curious is any well seasoned brewers have experimented or understand the process a bit better than myself

Back